[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Is Windows an OS?

ed@dah.sub.org (Ed Braaten) (01/04/91)

kim@Software.Mitel.com (Kim Letkeman) writes:

 >In article <4033@dah.sub.org> ed@dah.sub.org (Ed Braaten) writes:

 >| kim@Software.Mitel.com (Kim Letkeman) writes:
 >|
 >| >fact, the latest stats and projections (Sept 24, 1990 issue of New
 >| >York Times) show operating system market share as:
 >|
 >| >Year	DOS	UNIX	Windows	OS/2
 >| >1987	88.2	2.6	 2.3	 0.3
 >| >1989	75.0	2.3	14.5	 1.7
 >| >1994	43.2	7.6	28.7	13.5
 >|
 >| Is the New York Times trying to outdo PC Magazine in the propagation
 >| of mis-information?  Windows is not an operating system.  It is a
 >| proprietary windowing environment which runs *under* DOS.

 >Well Ed, I beg to differ. You are correct in that Windows is a
 >proprietary windowing system, but I don't agree with the statement
 >that Windows runs under DOS. Windows actually extends DOS.

That was my point: the column heading should be "DOS+Windows".

 >I will agree, of course, that it is pretty kludgy and that OS/2 and
 >UNIX are examples of real OS's as compared to Windows, but I don't
 >think its fair to crap all over Windows just because it happens to
 >have DOS as its heritage.

With any luck, it may become DOS 5.0... ;-)

      Ed Braaten        |  "... Man looks at the outward appearance,
Work: ed@de.intel.com   |  but the Lord looks at the heart."
Home: ed@dah.sub.org    |                        1 Samuel 16:7b