[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Looking for a multi-lingual word processor

krogers@esunix.UUCP (Keith Rogers) (01/04/91)

Do any of you use a multi-lingual word processor?  I'm aware of two
products: Note Bene and Multi-Lingual Scholar.  By multi-lingual I mean
languages with non-latin based alphabets; Cyrillic, Greek, Arabic,
Sanskrit, etc.  I would appreciate any comments from users and friends
of users about either of the above (or other) programs.

Keith Rogers
Evans & Sutherland Computer Corp.
utah-cs!esunix!krogers
esunix!krogers@cs.utah.edu

goer@ellis.uchicago.edu (Richard L. Goerwitz) (01/05/91)

In article <2273@esunix.UUCP> krogers@esunix.UUCP (Keith Rogers) writes:

>Do any of you use a multi-lingual word processor?  I'm aware of two
>products: Note Bene and Multi-Lingual Scholar.  By multi-lingual I mean
>languages with non-latin based alphabets; Cyrillic, Greek, Arabic,
>Sanskrit, etc.  I would appreciate any comments from users and friends
>of users about either of the above (or other) programs.

I'll second that query.

And no, I'm not really interested in typesetters like TeX.  It's very
important to me, as an author, not to worry about dot pitch, font acti-
vation, and spacing.  That sort of drudgery should be left to beady-
eyed editors.

I've used Nota Bene for about five years now, and have found it ade-
quate.  In fact, it's the only true academic word processor I know of.
Trouble is it's just about busting out of those tight MS-DOS seams.
At one time I considered Multi-Lingual Scholar, but I often run DOS
under Xenix, and their obscene form of copy protection (plugging one
of the printer ports) requires a DOS-only installation!  I'm also not
at all sure that MLS can yet be called a true, academic word proces-
sor the way NB can.

Any hints would be much appreciated.

-Richard

Alvin@cup.portal.com (Alvin Henry White) (01/05/91)

Some one asked about multilingual word processors.  I sent this as
an email, and then thought the net is kind of dead this time of
year, maybe I post it to see if it raises any discussion

There is or was one out of Los Angeles area called The Universal Word, I got
that box buried around here somewhere. I bought it at a computer swap.
Never heard of it. I just collect them, seldom use. Did not use it.
If you need the address I can dig around. I though anything close to
Hollywood should have been fun.

The Public Domain Share Warehouse has a set of 11 disks, each one a different
language from a company called INTEXT on the East coast. I got that whole
set here somewhere. I think they wanted about $40 a set to register, except
chinese which they said they had but was not included.

I have a thing called Kuo Chiao which is a Chinese Language wordstar made
in Taiwan or there abouts. It does English and Chinese Kanji. The manuals
are all in Chinese. I can't read a word. Many control keys like wordstar.

These are all for the  ibm compatible pc. KC needs Hercules monitor. My
copy about 3 years old.

There is a company in Burlingame CA [by South San Francisco] called
Pacific Rim.  They sell MLS but may have others.

I put some non roman fonts, I remember Sanskrit, on a friends macintosh.
They were shareware.

There is a set called
Duangjan that is kind of old but it had Vietnamese,
and a bunch of others.

Some where I have a catalog for a company in Boston that has a few Asian
like Chinese, Tibetian, Sanskrit, Japanese but I think most are Mac.

One I would like to have is called Tien Ma. It requires a card. Is advertised
at about $600 somewhere in Canada I think. It is for Chinese. I haven't seen
it, just the advertisements.

alvin
Alvin H. White, Gen. Sect.
G.O.D.S.B.R.A.I.N.
Government Online Database Systems
Bureau for Resource Allocations to Information Networks
[ alvin@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!alvin ]