[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Looking for posted Table of Archiver Programs

tim@int13.hf.intel.com (Timothy E. Forsyth) (01/05/91)

Could someone please send me the Table that is posted every so often that
lists archive programs for various systems (PC, Mac, Amiga, Unix, ...)
This is the table that lists that latest version numbers and is there is a
program on OS X that can extract and archive made on OS Y.
I believe the table also lists encoders such as uu and xx encode/decode and
BinHex.

On that same note, I am looking for a UNIX or MSDOS program to unBinHex files
that have been "BinHex"ed on Macs.  I would like to work on converting Mac
Type 1 font binary files to PC Type 1 font files for use with ATM for Win3.
It seems that the Mac Type 1 font files are stored in .SIT.HQX format on
the FTP archive at UMICH.

Thanks in advance,

Tim Forsyth
--
Tim Forsyth, Intel Corp., Desktop Computer Division, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Internet: tim@int13.hf.intel.com or Tim_Forsyth@ccm.hf.intel.com

jph@ais.org (Joseph Hillenburg) (01/05/91)

In article <1991Jan4.170405.2853@int13.hf.intel.com> tim@int13.hf.intel.com (Timothy E. Forsyth) writes:
>Could someone please send me the Table that is posted every so often that
>lists archive programs for various systems (PC, Mac, Amiga, Unix, ...)
>This is the table that lists that latest version numbers and is there is a
>program on OS X that can extract and archive made on OS Y.
>I believe the table also lists encoders such as uu and xx encode/decode and
>BinHex.

This is information to the best of my knowledge. The Platform(s) column
doesn't specify all the platforms, but the type of system that format
is most commmonly found on.

Name      | Version | Filetype | Platform(s)   | Comments
----------+---------+----------+---------------+-------------------------------
Ar        | ?.??    | .a  .ar  | unix          | no compression
Arc       | 5.21    | .arc     | ms-dos,amiga  | Not so common today
          |         |          |               | very low efficiency
Backup    | 5.3-1   | .bck     | vms           | no compression
BinHex    | ?.??    | .hqx     | macintosh     | bin -> ascii program
Compress  | 4.00    | .Z       | unix          | no arching, just compression
Ctar      | ?.??    | .ctar    | unix          | combines .tar & .Z in one step
DMS       | 1.00    | .dms     | amiga         | total rewrite of Warp
Library   | 5.3-1   | .olb .tlb| vms           | ?????????
LHarc     | 1.21    | .lzh     | amiga         | this is the amiga "standard"
          |         |          |               | also mutant LHarcA,LZ,LHunarc
LHwarp    | 1.??    | .lhw     | amiga         | lzhuf disk compressor
LZcomp    | ?.??    | _Z       | vms           | compression only
Pack      | ?.??    | .z       | unix          | pack != compress
Pak       | 1.00    | .pak     | amiga         | sfx archive; just run
Shar      | [*]     | .shar    | unix          | [*] many different shar
          |         |          |               | programs; cshar most common
          |         |          |               | ascii information only
Stuffit   | ?.??    | .sit     | macintosh     | latest version is commercial
          |         |          |               | (!)
Tar       | ?.??    | .tar     | unix          | no compression
PkZip     | ?.??    | .zip     | ms-dos        | fast, good compression
UUencode  | ?.??    | .uue     | all systems   | very standard bin -> ascii
Warp      | ?.??    | .wrp     | amiga,ms-dos  | disk compressor; author
          |         |          |               | replaced with DMS
Zoo       | 2.01    | .zoo     | amiga,ms-dos  | very standard across
          |         |          | unix          | various platforms
n/a       | n/a     | .sfx     | micros only   | self extracting archive

Ok, mail me and help patch the ????'s, and clear up holes.
Any info on archivers not listed are welcome. If requested, I may post this
periodically.

>Thanks in advance,
>
>Tim Forsyth
>--
>Tim Forsyth, Intel Corp., Desktop Computer Division, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
>Internet: tim@int13.hf.intel.com or Tim_Forsyth@ccm.hf.intel.com
>CompuServe: 74040,2712 (checked every Friday)

--
        Joseph Hillenburg, Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group
iuvax!news!valnet!joseph        jph@ais.org          anlhille@iubacs.BITNET