[net.ham-radio] Ham Radio and Computer Networking

winkler@harvard.ARPA (Dan Winkler) (08/20/85)

Hello Hams,

I'm a complete novice to amateur radio who is currently totally amazed
and enthralled by the high level of expertise and knowledge I see among
hams.  I'm sure glad you guys are out there and if I can find out how to
get started I hope to become a ham too.

I'm not a novice with computers though and I can see that packet radio
would be a great replacement for some of the expensive phone links used
by usenet.  It can cover great distances for almost no cost.  (Right?)
But in order for that to be responsive under heavy network traffic, it
would have to operate automatically so messages could be forwared at
least every day and prefereably more frequently than that.  A computer
would have to be able to contact and communicate with another computer
on its own, with no human supervision.  I don't believe we'll ever get
good throughput at a low cost if we need humans to show up and spend
time for every transfer.  Is such automated communication possible?

It would also be great to allow remote login over the airwaves.  This
would definitely provide some security problems.  Anything private can
of course be encrypted (if there aren't laws against that -- are there?).
Sending a login password can even be made secure using digital signatures
-- the host sends you a random string or the current date and you reply
with a digitally signed message containing that time or string.  The idea
is that since the same time or string will never be used again, noone can
enter your account by playing back a previously recorded login.

Public key encryption also seems to offer interesting possibilities for
private communciations with strangers in distant countries.  You send
them a public encrypting key over the open airwaves and they can then
send you encrypted messages that only you can decrypt.  Noone else can
decrypt the message even if they know the public encrypting key and
they cannot derive the decrypting key even if they know both the clear
text and the encrypting key.  You are thus able to establish secure
communications without ever having a secure channel.  However, from the
very small amount I know about ham radio, I can tell this is not in
keeping with the spirit of the hobby and would probably be interpreted
as an incredibly anti-social thing to do.

But regardles of whether anyone wants these services, I'm asking if
they're possible.  Can the airwaves serve as a cheap, fast, secure,
computer network?

Dan.

carpenter@nbs-vms (08/20/85)

Hello Dan,

Welcome....

The real hitch in all the great ideas of using Ham Radio for networking
is that Ham Radio must be REALLY noncomercial.  You can't use it to
conduct business, talk TO your business, etc., etc.  Thus, putting
an amateur link in something like THIS network would be next to impossible.

Sorry, but that is how I understand the rules (and practice) to be.

73,

Bob  W3OTC

------

epm0@bunny.UUCP (Erik Mintz) (08/21/85)

> It would also be great to allow remote login over the airwaves.  This
> would definitely provide some security problems.  Anything private can
> of course be encrypted (if there aren't laws against that -- are there?).

I am new to ham radio also. However, as I study the regulations
for my exam, I notice part 97.117 of the FCC regulations governing
amateur radio:

"The transmission by radio of messages in codes or ciphers in domestic
and international communications to or between amateur stations is
prohibited. All communications regardless of type of emissions employed
shall be in plain language except that generally recongnized
abreviations established by regulation or custom and usage are
permissible as are any other abreviations or signals where the intent is
not to obscure the meaning but only to facilitate communications."
--
Erik Mintz

ARPA or CSnet : epm0%gte-labs.csnet@csnet-relay
UUCP: ...harvard!bunny!epm0

ptb@Mitre-Bedford (08/21/85)

Not only must it be noncommercial, but NO ENCRYPTION is allowed.
97.117 states "The  transmission by radio of messages in codes or
ciphers in domestic and international communications to or between
amateur stations is prohibited...."

We have been trying to figure out how to allow a kind of remote-login
facility here, wrestling with things like security requirements and
the FCC rules.

We have come up with some partial solutions in regards to "hooking it
up" (over a LAN) to one host only, and warning people that it must
only be used for educational purposes. (This seems to be the one
purpose that both the FCC and my work place will allow.)  The
capability is not currently operational.

Some of our solutions deal with one-way BIUs, extra security on the
"host", and a one-time numeric password idea that I would rather not
put over the net to everyone.  If you want, give me a call, and we
could discuss what we have been doing here.  Are you at Harvard
University?  That is within a reasonable distance to get together
and have an "eyeball".

One should also note that the amateur bulletin boards of the W0RLI
vintage DO ALLOW remote "login", however, they are public access
systems.  They rely on the requirement for stations to ID themselves,
not use false callsigns, etc. to figure out who they are talking to.

As far as secrecy of messages goes, I would say "forget it" when you
are dealing with amateur radio.  The TAPR boards have readily
available a "listen and type out everything you hear" mode, and the
law does not help at all either (Amateur radio is one of two services
that does not have the secrecy of communications protection of the
Communications Act of 1934).

73, and good luck,

Peter Baldwin
(ptb@mitre-bedford)
(617) 271 - 2886	(local call from the Boston area)

mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) (08/22/85)

In article <312@harvard.ARPA> winkler@harvard.ARPA (Dan Winkler) writes:
>[eager to use packet radio to network computers]
>
>But regardles of whether anyone wants these services, I'm asking if
>they're possible.  Can the airwaves serve as a cheap, fast, secure,
>computer network?

Yes they can.  And they are, but under the normal restrictions of the Amateur
Radio regulations, which might put a bit of a damper on your enthusiasm.

Amateur Radio may not be used to conduct the normal business activities
of any business -- profit or non-profit.  And Amateur Radio transmissions
must be in plain text, not encrypted, though any standard communications
code may be used.  (I'm sure if I'm not current on my regulations I'll be
told.)

That pretty much leaves out most of the USENET newsgroups, and a great
deal of the UUCP mail traffic.  Though USENET is probably closer to
qualifying for distribution by Amateur Radio than anything else I've
encountered.

de Mojo aa4kb
--
Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development

karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) (08/22/85)

> "The transmission by radio of messages in codes or ciphers in domestic
> and international communications to or between amateur stations is
> prohibited. All communications regardless of type of emissions employed
> shall be in plain language except that generally recongnized
> abreviations established by regulation or custom and usage are
> permissible as are any other abreviations or signals where the intent is
> not to obscure the meaning but only to facilitate communications."

There has been considerable discussion on the topic of authentication vs
encryption in the amateur service. So far, the consensus is that the FCC
doesn't prohibit the use of codes as long as they are for the purpose of
authenticating the sender and not for the purposes of hiding what he's
saying.  A precedent: touch tone codes for repeater control and so forth.
(There is a special exception that allows encryption on amateur satellite
control links, but that doesn't apply here.)

Paul Newland, AD7I, presented a paper suggesting several possible schemes
in this year's ARRL Computer Networking Conference. The basic idea is to
calculate some function over a packet, encrypt it and send it along with
the packet (which would be in plain text). Any modification or forgery
of the packet would likely cause the encrypted check number not to match.
You might think of this as a "checksum" or "CRC" function whose intent
is to protect against intentional corruption by an intelligent human
instead of random corruption by natural processes like noise.

Phil

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (08/22/85)

The ham bands have a number of very significant limitations as
far as computer networking is concerned:

1) No traffic that is even a little bit commercial can be transmitted.
   Much Usenet traffic falls into the "somewhat commercial" area,
   including queries from people working for some company for some
   software or product, other people announcing software and
   products, etc.  Job announcements, etc. also fall into this
   area.  In general, there is a lot of content on Usenet that would
   be considered commercial under FCC rules.

2) Rules for content (no libelous, copyrighted, obscene, etc.)
   material are very strict.

3) No unscreened third-party traffic may be transmitted on the ham
   bands.  Virtually all netnews materials, other than particular
   articles written by the person owning the radio him/herself, would
   fall into this category!  A ham would have to sit there and screen
   every article before initial transmission into the ham bands,
   and would also in practice be taking responsiblity for the "legality"
   of those messages under points (1) and (2) above.  A pretty risky
   situation.

4) Encryption for the purpose of obscuring message contents is
   absolutely forbidden on the ham bands.

As you can see, the rules governing the ham bands are fairly strict
and introduce a number of VERY significant limitations.

--Lauren--