[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Software to transform generic 2400 modem to MNP level 5?

baxter@zola.ICS.UCI.EDU (Ira Baxter) (12/23/90)

I (like zillions of others) have a generic 2400 baud modem.  I would
like higher throughput.  I understand that MNP protocols offer such
without change to the basic underlying hardware.  Is there any modem
program that implements MNP levels 1-n on such generic modems?

IDB
(714) 856-6693  ICS Dept/ UC Irvine, Irvine CA 92717

kdq@demott.com (Kevin D. Quitt) (12/23/90)

In article <9012221054.aa08435@PARIS.ICS.UCI.EDU> baxter@zola.ICS.UCI.EDU (Ira Baxter) writes:

>I (like zillions of others) have a generic 2400 baud modem.  I would
>like higher throughput.  I understand that MNP protocols offer such
>without change to the basic underlying hardware.  Is there any modem
>program that implements MNP levels 1-n on such generic modems?

    Be aware: MNP protocols below 9 will only gain you higher throughput
if you are sending uncompressed data.  Levels below 9 can actually run
30% slower than a non-compressing modem, because they try to compress
the data, and end up expanding it.  Level 9+ does not have
(significantly) better compression, but is smart enough to know when to
leave the data alone.

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) (12/23/90)

>I (like zillions of others) have a generic 2400 baud modem.  I would
>like higher throughput.  I understand that MNP protocols offer such
>without change to the basic underlying hardware.  Is there any modem
>program that implements MNP levels 1-n on such generic modems?

A Chicago company called MagicSoft has several varieties ("MTE", "FlashLink")
of terminal software that claims to emulate MNP5 without additional hardware.
The concensus is that a software-only solution such as this will be a poor
performer. Considering also that these are commercial programs costing $70 or
more, your money wou,d be better spent by (selling your old 2400) and buying
a cheap error-correcting modem such as Zoom, PPI, etc.

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (12/24/90)

In article <9012221054.aa08435@PARIS.ICS.UCI.EDU> baxter@zola.ICS.UCI.EDU (Ira Baxter) writes:
$I (like zillions of others) have a generic 2400 baud modem.  I would
$like higher throughput.  I understand that MNP protocols offer such
$without change to the basic underlying hardware.  Is there any modem
$program that implements MNP levels 1-n on such generic modems?

   I've heard of two.  I received a program called FLASHlink with my
Cardinal Technologies modem.  It does MNP levels 2, 4 and 5, though
not as well (at least on level 4) as hardware implementations.  It
does a poor ANSI terminal emulation and offers XMODEM (checksum and CRC)
and YMODEM (batch and non-batch, with the /G variants if you have MNP
enabled).  Oh, and it doesn't provide 100% error-free communications,
but all in all, it beats a 2400 bps, non-error-correcting, non-compressing
modem.

   There's another one whose name escapes me; every time the above question
gets asked, someone or other posts about it, so I'm sure you'll find out
about it.

   One thing to note is that MNP level 5 data compression, unlike V.42bis
(and possibly higher MNP levels) will not notice if your data is already
compressed, so sending compressed files (such as .ZIP archives) will actually
result in _lower_ than 2400 bps throughput in many cases.  However, for
reading news, MNP is just fine.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always
(__  | | |  | |_  |_) >----------------------------------< searching

jimmy_t@verifone.com (12/27/90)

We tried a program called MTE a while back -- Don't remember any
thruput gains -- but if you are suffering from line noise the
error correction for interactive use might make it worthwile.

--
+------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
|  James H. Thompson                 |   jimmy_t@verifone.com    (Internet) |

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (01/02/91)

In an article schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) wrote:
>A Chicago company called MagicSoft has several varieties ("MTE", "FlashLink")
>of terminal software that claims to emulate MNP5 without additional hardware.
>The concensus is that a software-only solution such as this will be a poor
>performer. Considering also that these are commercial programs costing $70 or
>more, your money wou,d be better spent by (selling your old 2400) and buying
>a cheap error-correcting modem such as Zoom, PPI, etc.

I tried the version of MTE that is on SIMTEL.  I normally log into our
Unix system on campus, which is equipped with MNP5 modems.  The MTE program
displays a little "speedometer" that shows the bits per second being
transmitted and received.  According to this, the instantaneous rates hits
up in the thousands of bps.  But I tried timing various displays of text,
and never was able to get it to display faster than the same text at 2400
bps without MNP.  In fact, in normal interactive work such as editing or
reading news, the overall effect is to slow down your work, because there
is a certain overhead for the MNP protocol, which results in noticeable
delays as you type.

However, I do use MTE whenever I have trouble with line noise on windy days,
since it does a pretty good job of killing the garbage.

By the way, MTE only supports Hayes and a few other modems.  I had to hack
it considerably to get it to work with my non-Hayes modem.  Also, the scripting
is very limited.  For example I can't get it to just send CR's to wake up
the system on the other end, so I have to do that part manually when I log on.

--
John Dudeck                                  "If it's Object Oriented then by
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                    definition it's A Good Thing".

schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) (01/02/91)

>I tried the version of MTE that is on SIMTEL.  I normally log into our
>Unix system on campus, which is equipped with MNP5 modems.  The MTE program
>displays a little "speedometer" that shows the bits per second being
>transmitted and received.  According to this, the instantaneous rates hits
>up in the thousands of bps.  But I tried timing various displays of text,
>and never was able to get it to display faster than the same text at 2400
>bps without MNP.  In fact, in normal interactive work such as editing or
>reading news, the overall effect is to slow down your work, because there
>is a certain overhead for the MNP protocol, which results in noticeable
>delays as you type.

That's about what I'd expect. In my office we have a machine with a Hayes 2400.
(Actually requested a 2400V, but how we got screwed there is another story).
Anyway, I found out that Hayes is closing out the stock of the now-discontinued
V-Series Modem Enhancer for $99. These units feature V.42bis, and essentially
turn a 2400 into a 2400V. These units will ONLY work with Hayes modems as,
among other things, they check ROM versions and operate in synchronous mode
in order to gain the throughput that MTE loses.

Anyway, I got an enhancer, hooked it up and ... voila! I get error-free
transmission and visible data compression (somewhere between 4800-9600 bps
throughput on BBS sytems ... on text, of course).

If you have a Hayes external modem and are looking at commercial software
solutions like MTE ... call Hayes Customer Service and order a $99 enhancer
before they're gone forever.

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (01/03/91)

In article <2780d8d5.38f4@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:
$I tried the version of MTE that is on SIMTEL.  I normally log into our
$Unix system on campus, which is equipped with MNP5 modems.  The MTE program
$displays a little "speedometer" that shows the bits per second being
$transmitted and received.  According to this, the instantaneous rates hits
$up in the thousands of bps.  But I tried timing various displays of text,
$and never was able to get it to display faster than the same text at 2400
$bps without MNP.  In fact, in normal interactive work such as editing or
$reading news, the overall effect is to slow down your work, because there
$is a certain overhead for the MNP protocol, which results in noticeable
$delays as you type.

   I used FLASHlink during my last school year.  Typical throughput was
between 3000 and 3600 bps for rn and mail, which made up most of what I
did :-)  I wasn't particularly bothered by the jerkiness; to get essentially
error-free and higher-speed transmission, I found it quite easy to put up
with.  And yes, it will report peak throughput of 18kbps most times, since
there will usually be a packet consisting of mostly spaces that it can
compress the heck out of.

   I used to use it to log in here, too, but it seems to screw up the
modem (the host one, not mine) when I disconnect.  Strange.
--

gwoho@nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) (01/06/91)

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:

>>more, your money wou,d be better spent by (selling your old 2400) and buying
>>a cheap error-correcting modem such as Zoom, PPI, etc.
                                          ***
i have a 2400 modem that has the word zoom, in fancy colored foil, on one
of the roms. does it do any error correcting? it seems to have a hard
time sending info to an hst. does anyone know anything about this modem?
i have no instruction manual. in fact i have no documentation at all.
gwoho liu