[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] 3.5" drive in XT

schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dan Schikore) (01/06/91)

I just put a 720K 3.5" drive in my XT, which previously had 2 360K 5.25"
drives.  It still thinks that the drive has only 40 tracks.  I am able
to format disks to full capacity using a special formatting program, which
warns me that I may do damage to the drive because I am trying to format too
many tracks.  I can read the disks fine, and would just like to find some
kind of driver that would let my computer recognize that the disk does have
80 tracks.  Is something like this available?

Thanks,
Dan Schikore
schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

shedevil@portia.Stanford.EDU (Annie) (01/06/91)

Dan...

I had this *exact* problem, and I needed to add the following line in
my config.sys file:

DRIVPARM=/d:0 /f:2

This was for my 3.5 as my 'a' drive.

I'm not positive, but I think it would be DRIVPARM=/d:1 /f:2
if your 3.5 is your 'b' drive.

Annie
--
<*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>
   Anne (She Devil) Mitchell - Stanford Law - BBS: 415-497-5291,1200,N,8,1

In article <1991Jan6.000955.25624@portia.Stanford.EDU> shedevil@portia.Stanford.EDU (Annie) writes:

>Dan...
>
>I had this *exact* problem, and I needed to add the following line in
>my config.sys file:
>
>DRIVPARM=/d:0 /f:2

Anne,
	Thanks, but, believe it or not, I tried this exact thing already.
I get an error that says unrecognized command in config.sys.  I am using
PC-DOS 3.3 and 4DOS 3.0, though I don't think that those will matter.  Does
anyone know why this won't work on my computer?

Thanks,

-Dan Schikore
schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (01/06/91)

In <3281@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dan Schikore) writes:

>In article <1991Jan6.000955.25624@portia.Stanford.EDU> shedevil@portia.Stanford.EDU (Annie) writes:
>>
>>I had this *exact* problem, and I needed to add the following line in
>>my config.sys file:
>>
>>DRIVPARM=/d:0 /f:2

>Anne,
>	Thanks, but, believe it or not, I tried this exact thing already.
>I get an error that says unrecognized command in config.sys.  I am using
>PC-DOS 3.3 and 4DOS 3.0, though I don't think that those will matter.

Annie (shedevil?  why don't *I* get to pick a neat name??? :-) ) must be
using DOS 3.2 or earlier.  Our friends at Microsoft/IBM killed the DRIVPARM
command in DOS 3.3, if my memory serves correctly.

Grab your DOS documentation and look up DRIVER.SYS.  It's a small device
driver which replaces the lost DRIVPARM command (at the cost of a little
memory).  I think you use it much like the DRIVPARM command, as such:

DEVICE=DRIVER.SYS /d:0 /f:2

Try this;  if it doesn't work, check the manual and see if something else
needs to be done.

Remember, if you don't have DRIVER.SYS in your root directory, you'll need
to specify a path;  similarly, if you don't have it on your drive at all,
you'll need to pull it from your DOS distribution disk.
--
        ... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@hoss.unl.edu | "Mine... is the last voice that you will ever hear."

schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Schikore) (01/06/91)

Thanks for all the replies that I have recieved.  There were many suggestions
such as DRIVPARM and DRIVER.SYS, BIOS upgrade, a new controller, etc.  I
tried using DRIVER.SYS, but it does not work exactly like DRIVPARM, and instead
uses the next available drive, which I did not like.  This would work, but
then I would have to refer to this drive as e: in order to format it.  Finally
I revieved an excellent tip that I can use DRIVPARM with PC-DOS 3.3 by adding
a control-a after the = sign in my config.sys:

DRIVPARM=^A/d:1 /f:2

Thanks for all the suggestions.

-Dan Schikore
schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

shedevil@portia.Stanford.EDU (Annie) (01/07/91)

In article <3286@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> schikore@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dan Schikore) writes:

>I revieved an excellent tip that I can use DRIVPARM with PC-DOS 3.3 by adding
>a control-a after the = sign in my config.sys:
>
>DRIVPARM=^A/d:1 /f:2

Actually I've heard of this fluke, but I'd heard that it requires *4*
^A's in a row.

Did it work??

--