[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Out of environment

mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu (Don McGregor) (01/07/91)

OK, this is probably an easy one for you guys.  I'm getting an "out of
environment" error when I attempt to run a batch program that sets
a few environment variables and then runs a program.  I've got the
SHELL command in config.sys set to allocate 1024 of environment
for DOS 3.30. A SET command shows that about 370 bytes of space is
taken up by the actual environment variables and their values.

Deleting a few extraneous environment variables doesn't seem to
work at all--the new EVs seem to get cut off in exactly the same place.
Upping the SHELL environment space doesn't seem to work either.

Is the environment space being fragmented so a new variable can't be set?
Any way to fix this?  Any ideas?

Please reply by email, I don't follow this group regularly...

Don McGregor             |  My lawyer can beat up your lawyer.
mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu|  "A reasonable doubt for a reasonable fee"--

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (01/07/91)

In article <1991Jan07.071503.319@usenet@scion.CS.ORST.EDU> mcgredo@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Don McGregor) writes:

>OK, this is probably an easy one for you guys.  I'm getting an "out of
>environment" error when I attempt to run a batch program that sets
>a few environment variables and then runs a program.  I've got the
>SHELL command in config.sys set to allocate 1024 of environment
>for DOS 3.30. A SET command shows that about 370 bytes of space is
>taken up by the actual environment variables and their values.
>
>Deleting a few extraneous environment variables doesn't seem to
>work at all--the new EVs seem to get cut off in exactly the same place.
>Upping the SHELL environment space doesn't seem to work either.
:

Are you quite sure your format of the shell command in config.sys is
correct:
   shell=c:\dos\command.com /e:2048 /p

>Please reply by email, I don't follow this group regularly...

If you care to post to a group, you should also care to follow it.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)