[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] MS-DOS does it again!

akcs.bill@point.UUCP (Bill Wolff) (01/07/91)

I heard a rumor that MS-DOS command LABEL will/may screw up the FAT and
cause trouble down the line if files were on the disk. I have had more
trouble with bugs with MS-DOS then with any other operating system. I am
almost tempted to work back with CP/M Plus again. It least that works. It
also appears that CBM-DOS works better to, now that I think about it. My
question is: "Is there any bug lists around!" This is so I don't have to
keep losing my data every other month or so. Maybe someone should place
MS-DOS out and bring in something that works. HELP! <BW>

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (01/07/91)

akcs.bill@point.UUCP (Bill Wolff) writes:
>I heard a rumor that MS-DOS command LABEL will/may screw up the FAT and
>cause trouble down the line if files were on the disk. I have had more
>trouble with bugs with MS-DOS then with any other operating system....

How about telling us *what version* of MS-DOS you are using?  It's not
fair to condemn a whole series of operating system versions based upon
problems you've had with one version.  FYI, MS-DOS and PC-DOS version
3.30 is quite stable.

Have you scanned your disk with SCANV to make sure it's not infected
with a virus?

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Internet: w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu,  w8sdz@eddie.mit.edu,  w8sdz@brl.mil

jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie (01/07/91)

> I heard a rumor that MS-DOS command LABEL will/may screw up the FAT and
> cause trouble down the line if files were on the disk. I have had more
> trouble with bugs with MS-DOS then with any other operating system. I am
> almost tempted to work back with CP/M Plus again. It least that works. It
> also appears that CBM-DOS works better to, now that I think about it. My
> question is: "Is there any bug lists around!" This is so I don't have to
> keep losing my data every other month or so. Maybe someone should place
> MS-DOS out and bring in something that works. HELP! <BW>

Well....I started out with Dos 3.2, then 3.3 and am now using 4.01.
I have NEVER had any problems with LABEL, in fact I often change, for example,
the label on my HD without any 'screw-ups'. Let's face it, all OS's have some
bugs, it's just that amiga hacks like to spread rumors about 'bugs' in Ms-Dos -
well they do over here!!
As for losing data.....I've been using PC's for nearly 3 years now, and
have NEVER LOST DATA due to bugs in Dos or otherwise. I don't know if there
are any lists of Dos bugs going around, but if so, I'd love to get one!!
John.
  					 uunet!vax1.tcd.ie!JAGROGAN@uunet.uu.net
    3rd Year Computer Science		          jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie
     Trinity College Dublin.                      jagrogan@unix1.tcd.ie
     			                          jagroga@hcube.tcd.ie
	"I haven't lost my mind.....I'm sure it's backed up here somewhere!"

akcs.greg@ddsw1.MCS.COM (*Greg*) (01/09/91)

I hear "Xenix" is a stable OS.

Costs less than Unix too!