[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] What are good 386sx or 386 PC clones?

uhr@thor.cs.wisc.edu (Leonard Uhr) (01/02/91)

I want to spend about $1400 for a PC clone, and am considering Ares, HD,
Pro, Swan, Zeos.  I'd appreciate comments and experiences with these,
and others you might recommend.  Please e-mail me, and I'll post answers
if there's interest.

Thanks.

Len Uhr

PS - is anybody accumulating this kind of information, and if so where can
it be found?

00048323@ysub.ysu.edu (01/04/91)

   Less than 2 months ago I bought an Amstrad 386 DX from a company called
TREDEX (a company located in California) through mail-order.
   For $1499.00, you get:

             20mhz 386 DX cpu
             4mb of RAM installed
             40mb 28ms hard drive
             mouse and enhanced keyboard
             Mono Vga monitor (color $200 xtra)
             3 1/2  1.44meg floppy drive
             1yr warranty from Dow Jones Services (parts and labor)
             DOS 4.01 and GWBasic

  As of yet, and I've owned an Amstrad for 2yrs now (this is my second),
I have had no problem with any Amstrad hardware......I think it's an
excellent ibm compatable and at a great price........

akcs.greg@ddsw1.MCS.COM (*Greg*) (01/06/91)

Stick with Zeos..  It's probably the best machine for the money.  Ares is a
good computer but Zeos beats them slightly.

To get good sourses and explination, order PC SOURSES.  It's a Magazine that
checks out Mail-order companies and their products exclusivily.  PC SOURSES
is an off-shoot of the famed COMPUTER SHOPPER.  They compared Zeos's SX
systems with others and found that Zeos was by far the most reliable and the
fastest systems.  The Zeos machine has ample room to grow combined with
enternal schemes that help speed up this machine.  You can rely on this
technology.  The reason is, alot of thought went into the making of the Zeos
SX machines and it shows.

rb9a@kelvin.seas.Virginia.EDU (Raul Baragiola) (01/07/91)

In article <27872aa9-335a.2comp.ibmpc-1@ddsw1.MCS.COM> akcs.greg@ddsw1.MCS.COM (*Greg*) writes:
>Stick with Zeos..  It's probably the best machine for the money.  Ares is a
>good computer but Zeos beats them slightly.
>
>To get good sourses and explination, order PC SOURSES.  It's a Magazine that
>checks out Mail-order companies and their products exclusivily.  PC SOURSES
>is an off-shoot of the famed COMPUTER SHOPPER.  They compared Zeos's SX
>systems with others and found that Zeos was by far the most reliable and the
>fastest systems.  The Zeos machine has ample room to grow combined with
>enternal schemes that help speed up this machine.  You can rely on this
>technology.  The reason is, alot of thought went into the making of the Zeos
>SX machines and it shows.

1) Isn't is sourCes?
2) This mail looks like advertisement. If that magazine is an off-shoot of
Computer Shopper, I would be skeptic.  Most magazines, but particularly CS
depend heavily on advertisement to survive.  I would expect that ZEOS, which
spends a lot in adds turns out with a good image.  PC Mag 'seems' to be
more impartial.
3) You can buy equivalent machines at lower prices, that's how I bought
my Shamrock. A t the time, Gateway 2000 and Blackship had better prices.
And they obtained good grades in PC Mag.
4)"A lot of thought went into the making of ....":  Isn't that what
everybody says? (probably true, also, otherwise, how could you get into
the market?

--
Raul A. Baragiola                               \Internet: raul@virginia.edu
Dept. Nuclear Engnr. and Engnr. Physics          \Phone: (804)-982-2907

akcs.greg@ddsw1.MCS.COM (*Greg*) (01/09/91)

Raul,

Let me say that they explained the Zeos machine in detail that I became a
believer in the product.  It's a very reliable machine.

BTW, have you known of any Zeos customer to complain?

Anyway, there are alot of fine machines available.  I am just stating what
Zeos 386SX has going for it, and in no way am saying you can't find a
cheaper machine that runs comparably well.  I feel that the Zeos SX is a
great buy.  Even so of all the advertisements.

And I'm sorry if you feel that my posting about PC Sources sounds like an
ad.  It's just a decent magazine.  It compares quality machines and there
are alot of off brands that it tests I've never heard of in PC Mag.

I'll state that PC SourCes is a decent magazine that deserves some attention.

And I'll believe that the Zeos SX's are stable machines.