[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] SMT clock-on-a-chip

scott@mks.com (Scott Nicol) (01/09/91)

   I recently aquired a computer which has one of those new-fangled
(well, relatively) battery-backed clocks on a single chip (actually,
a chip embedded in a ROM chip socket).  Unfortunately, I can't find
the software used for setting and restoring the time and date.

   The chip in question has only "SMT" stamped on it.  Could anybody
help me out by pointing me to software that will work with this chip,
the company's address, or even just the (memory) address where the
time and date is stored?

--
- Scott Nicol
Email: scott@mks.com  -or- ...!uunet!watmath!mks!scott

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan8.215304.6785@mks.com> scott@mks.com (Scott Nicol) writes:

>   I recently aquired a computer which has one of those new-fangled
>(well, relatively) battery-backed clocks on a single chip (actually,
>a chip embedded in a ROM chip socket).  Unfortunately, I can't find
>the software used for setting and restoring the time and date.

 It's the Dallas Semiconductor DS1216E Smartwatch. Radio Shack sells it
under the name SmartWatch, and furnishes MS-DOS software to set and
read it.

 I once knew how this worked, but suffice it to say it's not just "read"
like a regular ROM. You need the software.

--
l\  /l '     _    Mike Schuster          ...!cmcl2!panix!schuster
l \/ l l l/ (_    NY Public Access       CIS:70346,1745

koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan9.162654.13606@panix.uucp> schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) writes:
> It's the Dallas Semiconductor DS1216E Smartwatch. Radio Shack sells it
>under the name SmartWatch, and furnishes MS-DOS software to set and
>read it.
> I once knew how this worked, but suffice it to say it's not just "read"
>like a regular ROM. You need the software.

Well, sort of like that.....  Actually (Zenith Data Systems) versions of MS-DOS
3.xx (and higher?) read the 'SmartWatch' by themselves at boot time, you only
need the software to set it.

Walt K.

<< Happy SmartWatch user/owner >>