[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Wanted: Macintosh Disk reader

garrison@zodiac.rutgers.edu (01/08/91)

Are any programs that enable one to easily read 3.5" floppies
formatted on a Macintosh in an IBM 3.5" disk drive? (Or programs that
enable a Macintosh to read IBM formatted disks)?

Thanks,
Karl

mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu (Don McGregor) (01/09/91)

In article <344.2788f84b@zodiac.rutgers.edu> you write:
>Are any programs that enable one to easily read 3.5" floppies
>formatted on a Macintosh in an IBM 3.5" disk drive? (Or programs that
>enable a Macintosh to read IBM formatted disks)?

   Any of the recent Macs (those intro'ed since the IIx) have a
   SuperDrive which reads either Mac or DOS disks.  You can use
   Apple File Exchange to pull in data from the DOS side or write
   to DOS disks.  Late model SE's also have the SuperDrive.

   Data Viz sells MacLink Plus, a collection of translation utilities
   that works in conjunction with Apple File Exchange to translate
   between common data file formats. It's a snap to use.

   If you don't have a recent Mac you can  buy an add-on drive;
   the name "Kennect" comes to mind.  Post over in comp.sys.mac.misc
   for more info on this.

Don McGregor             | "I..I blame society.  Society made me
mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu|  what I am."

cd5340@mars.njit.edu (Charlap David) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan08.190030.12703@usenet@scion.CS.ORST.EDU> mcgredo@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Don McGregor) writes:
>In article <344.2788f84b@zodiac.rutgers.edu> you write:
>>Are any programs that enable one to easily read 3.5" floppies
>>formatted on a Macintosh in an IBM 3.5" disk drive? (Or programs that
>>enable a Macintosh to read IBM formatted disks)?
>>
>   Any of the recent Macs (those intro'ed since the IIx) have a
>   SuperDrive which reads either Mac or DOS disks.  You can use
>   Apple File Exchange to pull in data from the DOS side or write
>   to DOS disks.  Late model SE's also have the SuperDrive.

If you have a mac without a SuperDrive and don't want to pay Apple for one,
there is a device out called Rapport(tm)  (I forget the manufacturer, but
it's advertised in MacWorld).  This device plugs into your mac's drive port
and will let it read/write IBM-720K disks and a new format: 1.2M Mac disks
using Apple File Exchange.  They also sell an external drive which, when used
in conjunction with the Rapport device will allow you to read IBM-1.44M disks
and a new 2.4M Mac format on HD diskettes.  It'll also read/write whatever
else the SuperDrive can work with.  I believe that Rapport with the
special drive unit costs less than Apple's price for a replacement SuperDrive.

-- Dave

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (01/10/91)

In article <344.2788f84b@zodiac.rutgers.edu> garrison@zodiac.rutgers.edu writes:
>Are any programs that enable one to easily read 3.5" floppies
>formatted on a Macintosh in an IBM 3.5" disk drive? (Or programs that
>enable a Macintosh to read IBM formatted disks)?

	One reasonably good deal is Central Point Software's COPY II PC Deluxe
Option Board, which costs ~$110 discounted. It is primarily a method to
defeat most copy protection schemes, but includes MAC 3.5" disk support. That is
it can read and write 800K (and 400K I think) MAC disks using the PC's 3.5"
drive.