[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] wanted PC<->MAC file transport

var@garp.East.Sun.COM (Var Garapetian, Sun-BOS Hardware. 508-671-0298) (01/07/91)

Help Please...
I need to transport some files from a PC to a MAC.

The two systems are not local and the MAC doesn't have a modem either.
So if I could get a program that runs on one of the 2 systems and can
read/write 3.5" floppies, using the other one's format would be the
ideal thing...
Of course not having much experience or access to a MAC, I would prefer
to do the work on the PC and send the floppies ready for use by a MAC.:-)

Any suggestions and/or pointers to such a program will be great.

Thanks in advance,
-var.
Varoujan Garapetian,   Sun Microsystems, East-Coast Div.
UUCP:                  {hplabs,ihnp4,ucbvax,decvax,seismo}!sun!vgarapetian
                       {decvax}!eagle_snax!garp!var
INTERNET:              vgarapetian@East.Sun.Com

berger@iboga (Mike Berger) (01/11/91)

var@garp.East.Sun.COM (Var Garapetian, Sun-BOS Hardware. 508-671-0298) writes:

>Help Please...
>I need to transport some files from a PC to a MAC.

>The two systems are not local and the MAC doesn't have a modem either.
*----

I doubt that this can be done with a software-only solution.  However,
for about $ 100, a Central Point Systems Copy II PC Options Board will
let you read and write native Macintosh disks.  The software is included.
--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan10.200828.15737@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, berger@iboga (Mike Berger) writes...
>var@garp.East.Sun.COM (Var Garapetian, Sun-BOS Hardware. 508-671-0298) writes:
>>Help Please...
>>I need to transport some files from a PC to a MAC.
>>The two systems are not local and the MAC doesn't have a modem either.

>I doubt that this can be done with a software-only solution.  However,
>for about $ 100, a Central Point Systems Copy II PC Options Board will
>let you read and write native Macintosh disks.  The software is included.

All new Mac's can read and write MS-DOS 720K formatted diskettes.  There
are several software only solutions that allow the user to take MS-DOS
data and bring it TO the Mac, as the original posting requested.

1 -- Apple File Exchange ships with all new Macs.  It reads and writes
  -- MS-DOS 720K formatted diskettes.
2 -- Two "inits" allow MS-DOS disks to be directly mounted and "viewed"
  -- on the Mac desktop. (The Mac-equivalent of typing "dir".)
  -- These are called "DOS Mounter", and "Access PC".
3 -- SoftPC is a software-only PC emulators that runs on Mac II's,
  -- the SE/30, and the Portable.  It fully emulates the IBM PC XT or
  -- AT with CGA or EGA graphics, LIM 4.0 extended memory, and optional
  -- emulation of the 80287 co-processor.

If anyone is interested in learning more about SoftPC, I would be happy
to send a copy of a review I wrote recently for a Mac group.  Since
getting SoftPC, I have not touched my PC-clone.  The Mac runs the PC
software faster.  SoftPC runs under Multifinder, so you don't even
need to quit your Mac application(s) in order to use the "PC".

-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)
-- 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949