[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Brief Lookalike Editor On Unix

rohit@dmdev.UUCP (Rohit Mehrotra) (01/09/91)

A lookalike/workalike of Brief editor on Dos called Crisp is now
available on Unix / Vax.

It is a SHAREWARE program (available from the uunet archive), which has
been successfully ported to SunOS, SCO Unix/Xenix, Esix, Interactive Unix,
Ultrix, SysV, Berkley, AIX.

There is a mailing list for the users of Crisp. For more info mail to
owner-crisp-list@uunet.uu.net.

To the question as to what brief is, it is an editor like vi, with the
following features:

1)  It does not have two modes.

2)  has context sensitive functionality i.e pressing the END key takes
    you to the end of line, pressing it again would take you to the end
    of page, and pressing it again would take you to the end of document.

3)  It has all the regular expressions that vi supports with additional
    functionality for block searching etc.

4)  It has features like Column Cutting / Pasting etc.

5)  Multiple windows, with the ability to zoom/unzoom a window.

6)  Can be used for formatting documents, like autowrap etc.

7)  Has a spell checker built in.

8)  Has a template for editing C/Pascal/Assembly files, i.e typing "d"
    followed by a space bar completes the do-while loop.

9)  Can check/reply to mail from within the editor.

10) Cut and Paste between windows.

11) Multiple Undo unlike vi.

Any programmer from the DOS world would be able to tell more about it.
It is the largest selling editor in the DOS world. Cut and Paste, Formatting
etc is very simple in this editor, as it does not use two modes.

Rohit Mehrotra
Fleet Credit Corporation
8325 NW 53rd St, Miami, Fl 33166.
E-MAIL Address uunet!dmdev!rohit VOICE 1-(305)-477-0390 Ext 469

tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) (01/10/91)

In article <190@dmdev.UUCP>, rohit@dmdev.UUCP (Rohit Mehrotra) says:

       < stuff deleted about Crisp, probably a great editor for Unix >

>Any programmer from the DOS world would be able to tell more about it.
>It is the largest selling editor in the DOS world. Cut and Paste, Formatting
>etc is very simple in this editor, as it does not use two modes.

>--
>Rohit Mehrotra
>Fleet Credit Corporation
>8325 NW 53rd St, Miami, Fl 33166.
>E-MAIL Address uunet!dmdev!rohit VOICE 1-(305)-477-0390 Ext 469

Sorry to disappoint you, but I can't stand Brief. I perfer using QEdit for
all of my work. Simple but effective. I once watched someone trying to
set it up and he eventually had to expand his environment to 3096 bytes.

Of course, this is only my opinion and I do not represent in any sense
of the word "Any programmer". ;-)

No thanks... (but thanks anyway :-)

Carl Schelin
tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu

d88-jwa@dront.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan9.195507.23848@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) writes:
>In article <190@dmdev.UUCP>, rohit@dmdev.UUCP (Rohit Mehrotra) says:

>       < stuff deleted about Crisp, probably a great editor for Unix >
>>Any programmer from the DOS world would be able to tell more about it.

>Sorry to disappoint you, but I can't stand Brief. I perfer using QEdit for

Fer chrissake, don't post this stuff to zillions of newsgroups...

Followups to comp.editors. Comp.unix.aux isn't very interested, since
we've got FAR superior editors on the mac ;-) (Like, Alpha 3.08 for
instance. Or MS Word 4.0)

								H+

Jon W{tte, Stockholm, Sweden, h+@nada.kth.se

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (01/11/91)

As quoted from <1991Jan9.195507.23848@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> by tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin):
+---------------
| In article <190@dmdev.UUCP>, rohit@dmdev.UUCP (Rohit Mehrotra) says:
| >
|        < stuff deleted about Crisp, probably a great editor for Unix >
| >
| >Any programmer from the DOS world would be able to tell more about it.
| >It is the largest selling editor in the DOS world. Cut and Paste, Formatting
| >etc is very simple in this editor, as it does not use two modes.
|
| Sorry to disappoint you, but I can't stand Brief. I perfer using QEdit for
| all of my work. Simple but effective. I once watched someone trying to
| set it up and he eventually had to expand his environment to 3096 bytes.
+---------------

I prefer Emacs myself --- but save the editor wars for some other newsgroup.
Or, better, mail.

What was that "*now* available", anyway?  There are *two* versions of CRISP
for Unix in the comp.sources.misc archives, both fairly old by now --- it's by
no means a new program.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN

dona@vicstoy.UUCP (Don Allen) (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan9.195507.23848@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) writes:
>In article <190@dmdev.UUCP>, rohit@dmdev.UUCP (Rohit Mehrotra) says:
>>

>       < stuff deleted about Crisp, probably a great editor for Unix >
>

>>Any programmer from the DOS world would be able to tell more about it.
>>It is the largest selling editor in the DOS world. Cut and Paste, Formatting
>>etc is very simple in this editor, as it does not use two modes.

>>--
>>Rohit Mehrotra
>>Fleet Credit Corporation
>>8325 NW 53rd St, Miami, Fl 33166.
>>E-MAIL Address uunet!dmdev!rohit VOICE 1-(305)-477-0390 Ext 469
>
>Sorry to disappoint you, but I can't stand Brief. I perfer using QEdit for
>all of my work. Simple but effective. I once watched someone trying to
>set it up and he eventually had to expand his environment to 3096 bytes.
>
>Of course, this is only my opinion and I do not represent in any sense
>of the word "Any programmer". ;-)
>
>No thanks... (but thanks anyway :-)
>
>Carl Schelin
>tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu

Although I have both vi and Qedit on my pc at work, I absolutely love
the EASY way in which QEdit works..

Simple to use, easy to understand and as close as intuitive for a DOS
machine with it's "pop-up" menus.

Highly recommended and easily configurable to a custom setup.

Available  on just about any IBM BBS anywheres.

-Don-

--

Don Allen                                      // Amiga is it!
USnail: 1818G Landing Dr, Sanford Fl 32771   \X/

shawn@marilyn.UUCP (Shawn P. Stanley) (01/13/91)

In article <1991Jan9.195507.23848@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) writes:
>I can't stand Brief. I perfer using QEdit for all of my work. Simple
>but effective. I once watched someone trying to set it up and he
>eventually had to expand his environment to 3096 bytes.

3096?!  I use 800 bytes, and I've got lots of applications installed on
my system with environment needs (compilers, database apps, Brief, and a
couple other editors).  I think maybe something else on his system is the
environment hog.
--
Shawn P. Stanley         shawn@marilyn.marilyn.mn.org
tcnet!marilyn!shawn      {rosevax,crash}!orbit!marilyn!shawn