[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] mfm+ide drive in 1 computer.

gwoho@nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) (01/09/91)

how can i get an mbm and an ide drive to work with msdos in the same
computer? (simultaneously, i dont want to open up the computer and take out
and trade cards to use both drives.). is there a free device driver
somewhere? is there a pay for device driver somewhere? can other versions
of dos use both drives with out problem?
gwoho liu.

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (01/11/91)

gwoho@nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) writes:
>how can i get an mbm and an ide drive to work with msdos in the same
>computer? (simultaneously, i dont want to open up the computer and take out
>and trade cards to use both drives.). is there a free device driver
>somewhere? is there a pay for device driver somewhere? can other versions
>of dos use both drives with out problem?

You can't do it easily.  ST412/506 MFM and IDE use the same port address and
IRQ.  You could try putting the ST412/506 MFM controller at the secondary port
address and a different IRQ, but then your BIOS wouldn't be aware of it.  Only
OS'es that support a secondary ST412/506 controller to my knowledge are Unix
based.

Basically, it's more trouble that it's worth for DOS.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | What to buy?
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | EISA or MCA?
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | When will the bus wars end?
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

bkirby@mcs213a.cs.umr.edu (Bill Kirby) (01/13/91)

In article <6833@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>gwoho@nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) writes:
>>
>>  [question about ide coexisting with mfm]
>
>You can't do it easily.  ST412/506 MFM and IDE use the same port address and
>IRQ.  You could try putting the ST412/506 MFM controller at the secondary port
>address and a different IRQ, but then your BIOS wouldn't be aware of it.  Only
>OS'es that support a secondary ST412/506 controller to my knowledge are Unix
>based.
>
>Basically, it's more trouble that it's worth for DOS.

I'm confused.  I've called CompuAdd (i own a compuadd floppy/harddrive
controller), and USA Flex (I was going to buy an IDE drive from them)
and they both claim that the controllers will not interfere with each
other.  I specifically told the USA Flex tech. guy that I had heard
of I/O and IRQ conflicts, but he assured me that this wouldn't be a
problem.

Right now, my only option for a second hard drive must be 3.5"
form factor.  And the cheapest drives i've found are IDE.

If I decide to get rid of my current drive (ST-225) and go with the
IDE by itself, can I still use my CompuAdd controller to control
my floppy drives?  If not, what do I do?

Also, does the IDE drive require any special device driver?

Thanks,

+--------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
|       Bill Kirby         |  Internet:  bkirby@cs.umr.edu                 |
|  Computer Science Dept.  |    Bitnet:  bkirby%cs.umr.edu@umrvmb.bitnet   |
| University of MO - Rolla |      UUCP:  ...!uunet!cs.umr.edu!bkirby       |
|    Rolla, MO  65401      |                                               |
+--------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+

thoger@solan.unit.no (Terje Th|gersen) (01/13/91)

In article <1928@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> bkirby@mcs213a.cs.umr.edu (Bill Kirby) writes:
   In article <6833@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
   >gwoho@nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) writes:
   >>
   >>  [question about ide coexisting with mfm]
   >
   >You can't do it easily.  ST412/506 MFM and IDE use the same port address and
   >IRQ.  You could try putting the ST412/506 MFM controller at the secondary port
   >address and a different IRQ, but then your BIOS wouldn't be aware of it.  Only
   >OS'es that support a secondary ST412/506 controller to my knowledge are Unix
   >based.
   >
   >Basically, it's more trouble that it's worth for DOS.
   >

>   I'm confused.  I've called CompuAdd (i own a compuadd floppy/harddrive
>   controller), and USA Flex (I was going to buy an IDE drive from them)
>   and they both claim that the controllers will not interfere with each
>   other.  I specifically told the USA Flex tech. guy that I had heard
>   of I/O and IRQ conflicts, but he assured me that this wouldn't be a
>   problem.

On AT / 386's there are 2 different type of PC-HD controller interfaces,
as far as I've been able to figure out. The first type is known as a
WD1003 type interface. Under this system, most of the HD-controlling is
done by the host computer. Most ST506/412 and IDE controllers are of this
type.

The second system is a type where the controller comes with it's own BIOS
onboard. In this system, the BIOS takes over most of the 'job' itself.
Under this system you do NOT tell your AT that it has a HD installed, as
the on-board BIOS does all the initializing etc. that is necessary.
Most Hardcards are of this type, as is my Seagate ST02 SCSI-controller.
I'm pretty sure that HD-controllers meant to be installed in a XT are
of this type, too

Now, under DOS, I *know* you can have one of each type installed, as I have
done this. I've tried ST506 + Hardcard, ST506 + ST02 SCSI and IDE + ST02.

But, having two of the first kind is rather difficult under DOS, as previous
posters have noted. (I've never tried two BIOS-equipped ones at the same
time.. Hm.. gotta test that someday..)

So, what the guy from USA Flex *might* be trying to tell you, is that their
IDE controller has onboard BIOS, and therefore can peacefully coexist with
a controller using the WD1003-type interface. I say *might*, as I've never
heard of a IDE-type controller that is of the second type.

>   If I decide to get rid of my current drive (ST-225) and go with the
>   IDE by itself, can I still use my CompuAdd controller to control
>   my floppy drives?  If not, what do I do?

Yes, if you get a IDE controller without floppy support. But, at the current
prices of USD 40-50 for both FDC-equipped IDE controllers and the ones
without floppy-support, you might as well get the one with the FDC, and
free up a slot.

>   Also, does the IDE drive require any special device driver?

No, it shouldn't. The only controllers I've heard of that use drivers under
DOS are the more advanced SCSI-controllers, that can do up to 7 drives etc.

>  Thanks,
>   |       Bill Kirby         |  Internet:  bkirby@cs.umr.edu              |

Just my little USD 0.02 worth etc..

  -Terje

thoger@solan.unit.no       |                 Institute of Physical Chemistry
THOGER AT NORUNIT.BITNET   | Div. of Computer Assisted Instrumental Analysis

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (01/14/91)

bkirby@mcs213a.cs.umr.edu (Bill Kirby) writes:
>In article <6833@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>I'm confused.  I've called CompuAdd (i own a compuadd floppy/harddrive
>controller), and USA Flex (I was going to buy an IDE drive from them)
>and they both claim that the controllers will not interfere with each
>other.  I specifically told the USA Flex tech. guy that I had heard
>of I/O and IRQ conflicts, but he assured me that this wouldn't be a
>problem.

Either the person at CompuAdd needs a laxative or their controller isn't a
standard ST412/506 MFM controller (standard being that it behaves like a
WD1003).

>Right now, my only option for a second hard drive must be 3.5"
>form factor.  And the cheapest drives i've found are IDE.
>
>If I decide to get rid of my current drive (ST-225) and go with the
>IDE by itself, can I still use my CompuAdd controller to control
>my floppy drives?  If not, what do I do?

You can if you switch the port address on the ST412/506 MFM controller to its
secondary port address and not hook a hard drive to it.  Very few ST412/506
MFM controllers support IRQ switching.  Best bet would be to get an IDE
adaptor with a floppy port on it and get rid of the CompuAdd controller
completely.

>Also, does the IDE drive require any special device driver?

No, that's the beauty of IDE.  It looks like an ST412/506 drive to your BIOS.

     // JCA

 /*