[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Disk De-Fragmenter wanted for DOS 4.01

stu@sdl.scs.com (Stu Brown) (01/10/91)

Does anyone know of a (hopefully free) program to scan a disk
and reorganize it to minimize fragmentation? I have seen a program
called dorg, but it does not work for DOS 4.0.
--
Stuart Brown
Mentor Graphics Corporation

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (01/11/91)

In an article stu@sdl.scs.com (Stu Brown) wrote:
>Does anyone know of a (hopefully free) program to scan a disk
>and reorganize it to minimize fragmentation? I have seen a program
>called dorg, but it does not work for DOS 4.0.
        ^^^^
		  I think that was dog...

I fail to understand how anyone can afford to have a PC and yet not
afford to buy Norton Utilities (current version 5.0).  It should be the
first thing you buy along with DOS when you get a system.  No need to
think about it.

--
John Dudeck                                        "Communication systems are
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                              inherently complex".

ralphs@sumax.seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (01/12/91)

reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) writes:

> I use the disk optimizer that comes with PC Tools 6.0.  You should be able
> to pick up a copy for around $90.  It works quite well with MSDOS 4.01.

But bombs out >6000 files per partition.  The programmers are aware of
the limit and should take it to >10000 on the next release (memory
constraints of some sort).

quimby@madoka.its.rpi.edu (Tom Stewart) (01/12/91)

>I fail to understand how anyone can afford to have a PC and yet not
>afford to buy Norton Utilities (current version 5.0).  It should be the
>first thing you buy along with DOS when you get a system.  No need to
>think about it.

Many people, myself included, would much rather have a copy of Mace
utilities than Norton.  Mace doesn't have as many small utilities, but
the recovery tools are more complete, and much more reliable.  (The
current version might not, but older versions of Disk Doctor sometimes
actually did more damage than good to crashed HD's.)

Quimby

(mailer disfunctional, replies to: quimby@mts.rpi.edu, quimby@rpitsmts.bitnet)

s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Soon Mok) (01/14/91)

quimby@madoka.its.rpi.edu (Tom Stewart) writes:

>>I fail to understand how anyone can afford to have a PC and yet not
>>afford to buy Norton Utilities (current version 5.0).  It should be the
>>first thing you buy along with DOS when you get a system.  No need to
>>think about it.

>Many people, myself included, would much rather have a copy of Mace
>utilities than Norton.  Mace doesn't have as many small utilities, but
>the recovery tools are more complete, and much more reliable.  (The
>current version might not, but older versions of Disk Doctor sometimes
>actually did more damage than good to crashed HD's.)

I'd rather stick to Norton Utilities V4.5 than upgrade to V5.0 The newer versionhas less executables since they bunched up the programs into larger programs
and that means less files but larger programs. NCD, for one, has more than
doubled in size. The 4.5 NCD works fine in my DESQVIEW DOS window but the V5.0
NCD crashes the whole computer.

If you have V4.5 and plan to or have upgraded to V5.0, don't relegate the
older version to your floppies. To be fair, there are quite a few useful
programs in V5.00. Norton Disk Doctor II seems to be an improvement over the
older version.

--
     | o o |    Eugene Mok  s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au  (Melbourne OZ)
     \  ^  /    Fidonet 3:633/375