[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Using the computer to dial my phone

stanley@phoenix.com (John Stanley) (01/11/91)

chas@stax.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) writes:

> I'd like my pc to dial the phone. I used to do this on the Mac by
> having the speaker generate the correct tones, and holding the
> telephone receiver to the speaker. (I'm trying to automate my people
> dialing directory.)
>
> Is there something similar for the PC?

   Yes, it is called a modem. You can get them for less than $100 today.
Not only will they dial the phone, they will let you talk to other
computer systems. You will not need to hold your phone up to the system,
even -- they connect direct to the phone line.

   Plus, it can tell when your phone is ringing, too.

   I have KeyOrganizer, and it does just fine at dialing people using
the modem.

jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) (01/14/91)

In article <ToFkV4w163w@phoenix.com> stanley@phoenix.com (John Stanley) writes:

   chas@stax.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) writes:

   > I'd like my pc to dial the phone. I used to do this on the Mac by
   > having the speaker generate the correct tones, and holding the
   > telephone receiver to the speaker. (I'm trying to automate my people
   > dialing directory.)
   >
   > Is there something similar for the PC?

      Yes, it is called a modem. You can get them for less than $100 today.
   Not only will they dial the phone, they will let you talk to other
   computer systems. You will not need to hold your phone up to the system,
   even -- they connect direct to the phone line.

Of course, there might be situations where you can't connect to the
telephone line. Especially in the context of laptops, taken together
with public phones or hotel phones, it might be worthwhile to have
the PC speaker be the dialler.

It might be a challenge to get a DTMF digit out of the PC's speaker,
but I've seen piano playing programs on the PC, so even with the
PC's 1 bit DAC, it's probably do-able. (I don't know if laptops
use a real speaker, though, or do they cheat and use a piezo
buzzer ? )

Regards,

/ Jon Sreekanth

Assabet Valley Microsystems			Fax and PC products
346 Lincoln St #722, Marlboro, MA 01752		508-562-0722
jon_sree@world.std.com