[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Panasonic 1124 Buffer

alt@cbnewsd.att.com (art.l.todesco) (01/05/91)

Does anyone know how to expand the memory of the Panasonic 1124 printer.  I
know there is a "kit."  Does this involve RAM chips and possibly changing DIP
switches?

Art Todesco
att!ihlpf!alt

dsew@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (David Sewell) (01/05/91)

In <1991Jan4.183033.17950@cbnewsd.att.com> alt@cbnewsd.att.com (art.l.todesco) writes:

>Does anyone know how to expand the memory of the Panasonic 1124 printer.  I
>know there is a "kit."  Does this involve RAM chips and possibly changing DIP
>switches?

It's a very simple do-it-yourself operation.  There's a single chip that
you put in a socket that you just remove a couple of screws to expose
(instructions come with the chip).  If you want to use downloaded fonts
you will need to change one of the front-panel function switch settings
(no DIP switches).  I got my chip from Midwest Micro, whose latest
catalog still lists them in stock (1-800-423-8215).
--
David Sewell, English Dep't, University of Rochester, New York USA
   dsew@cc.rochester.edu || dsew%cc.rochester.edu@uorvm.BITNET

early@3988.dec.com (Robert W. Early) (01/15/91)

>It doesn't improve speed of graphics printing per se, which depends on
>the graphics resolution selected by software.  Since it adds buffer
>memory, it does mean that your computer will be free for other things
>sooner.  (If you don't have download fonts enabled, the full 32K acts as
>a buffer, I believe; with download fonts enabled, 16K buffer memory is
>added.)
>--

Aha ! Thanks. I use a Printserver Cache, so my PC is free as soon as
I submit the file, anyway. Sounds desirable for the downloadable fonts,
though.

>David Sewell, English Dep't, University of Rochester, New York USA
>   dsew@cc.rochester.edu || dsew%cc.rochester.edu@uorvm.BITNET

-Bob

    | Usual Disclaimer:  I'm solely responsible for my actions.  |
    |          Bob Early  early@3988.dec.com                     |
    | Please reply by electonic mail only. Thanx                 |