[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Any experience using Spinrite II and Ontrack Disk Manager?

system@infopls.chi.il.us (SYSOP) (01/15/91)

chaim@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Chaim Dworkin) writes:

> I'm interested in knowing if anyone else has had any experience in
> using Spinrite on a hard disk larger than 32 Mb which was partitioned
> with Ontrack's Disk Manager.  Did it work properly?

  I used it on an AT at work that had an ST-4096 in it (80MB. The computer
was a 6MHZ IBM AT!!) It was partitioned as 1 10M and 2 32M (Some space lost
due to the fact that the BIOS was told the drive had 7 heads, when it has
9. The DOS partition [10M] lost room due to this.) To use Spinrite, I
booted a floppy WITH DM on it to do the 2 32M partitions. I booted a floppy
WITHOUT DM to do the 10M DOS partition (Spinrite complained that the CMOS
was wrong, which was sort-of correct.)

Andrew Rossmann               | Sysop of Infoplus BBS, +1 708 537 0247
 andyross@infopls.chi.il.us   | Infoplus Support, latest version available
 ..!uunet!ddsw1!infopls!system| by logging in as infoplus.