[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Is there a virus in QEMM Ver. 5.1 ??

infotech@rupert.misemi ( infottech) (01/10/91)

A recent article found on comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest states (in part):

>Date: Tue, 1 Jan 91 10:58:09 -0500
>From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil>
>Subject: Reported QEMM virus
>
>I have found what appears to be a virus on the factory supplied disk
>from Quarterdeck on the QEMM386 V5.1 diskette in the Optimize.com amd
>install.exe programs. These 2 programs contain a HEX signature of
>EAF0FF00F0 which indicates the possible presence of the 648 virus. This
>virus is supposed to infect overlay programs, which I have had MAJOR
>problems with lately.

I checked my copy of QEMM 5.1 and lo and behold the same Hex string
was in these programs... So, what's the scoop? Is it a virus? SCANV71
didn't find anything out of the ordinary in these files. I have yet to
get through to Q-deck customer support...

Anyone have any further info?

chao@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Chia-Chi Chao) (01/11/91)

In article <5955@rupert.misemi> infotech@rupert.misemi ( infottech) writes:
>A recent article found on comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest states (in part):
>
>>Date: Tue, 1 Jan 91 10:58:09 -0500
>>From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil>
>>Subject: Reported QEMM virus
>>
>>I have found what appears to be a virus on the factory supplied disk
>>from Quarterdeck on the QEMM386 V5.1 diskette in the Optimize.com amd
>>install.exe programs. These 2 programs contain a HEX signature of
>>EAF0FF00F0 which indicates the possible presence of the 648 virus. This
>>virus is supposed to infect overlay programs, which I have had MAJOR
>>problems with lately.
>>

>I checked my copy of QEMM 5.1 and lo and behold the same Hex string
>was in these programs... So, what's the scoop? Is it a virus? SCANV71
>didn't find anything out of the ordinary in these files. I have yet to
>get through to Q-deck customer support...
>
>Anyone have any further info?

No, it is _NOT_ a virus.  I contacted the original poster, and I was told that
the hex string turned out to be part of the warm boot instruction, which
install.exe and optimize.com both use.
--

Chia-Chi Chao     chao@cs.ucla.edu   ..!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!chao

tbt@polari.UUCP (Tom Talbott) (01/12/91)

----- News saved at 11 Jan 91 23:19:49 GMT
In article <5955@rupert.misemi> infotech@rupert.misemi ( infottech) writes:
>I checked my copy of QEMM 5.1 and lo and behold the same Hex string
>was in these programs... So, what's the scoop? Is it a virus? SCANV71
>didn't find anything out of the ordinary in these files. I have yet to
>get through to Q-deck customer support...
>
>Anyone have any further info?

I also have checked my copy of QEMM and have found the Hex string.
Specifically I found it in OPTIMIZE.COM and QEMM386.SYS.  Yet, I have found
no indication of a virus on my system.  I have run scanv72 and I have checked
the CRC's of various EXE files with the CRC's of the originals and have
found no differences.  I have a feeling that Mr. Kirschbaum has jumped to
an early conclusion and has not truly found his problem.

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (01/15/91)

In article <3135@polari.UUCP> tbt@polari.UUCP (Tom Talbott) writes:
>I also have checked my copy of QEMM and have found the Hex string.
>Specifically I found it in OPTIMIZE.COM and QEMM386.SYS.  Yet, I have found
>no indication of a virus on my system.  I have run scanv72 and I have checked
>the CRC's of various EXE files with the CRC's of the originals and have
>found no differences.  I have a feeling that Mr. Kirschbaum has jumped to
>an early conclusion and has not truly found his problem.

Mr. Kirschbaum is very upset.  He was incorrectly attributed as being
the person who reported the problem.  This message will explain.

--Keith