[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Looking for video grab board.

derhak@cs.utah.edu (Maxim Derhak) (01/15/91)

I am looking for a device that wil grab (digitize) a video image quickly with
reasonable clairity (I've tried the ATVISTA card, and it just doesn't cut it)
and generatets 15 to 24 bit color.  I know that there must exist something
that does this, but I don't know where to look.  I don't really want a display
board since I am trying to process the images for printing.  Is there a cheap
solution (less than the $3000 for a VISTA card) that captures video images
to a image buffer than can be processed and displayed later?  It would be
nice if it worked with composite, or SVHS.  Please mail responses to me since
I don't read news all that often.

Thanks,
Max

 Lekarz  THE //\/\    //| \ /  #  Max Derhak (derhak@cs.utah.edu) :^>
   od    \\ //    \  //-|  X   #  After all is said and done, a heck of
  Raju!   \X/      \//  | / \  o  a lot more is said and done. - Murphy

dtl@hpcuha.cup.hp.com (Dean Lindsay) (01/15/91)

derhak@cs.utah.edu (Maxim Derhak) writes:

>I am looking for a device that wil grab (digitize) a video image quickly with
>reasonable clairity (I've tried the ATVISTA card, and it just doesn't cut it)
>and generatets 15 to 24 bit color.  I know that there must exist something
>that does this, but I don't know where to look.  I don't really want a display
>board since I am trying to process the images for printing.  Is there a cheap
>solution (less than the $3000 for a VISTA card) that captures video images
>to a image buffer than can be processed and displayed later?  It would be
>nice if it worked with composite, or SVHS.  Please mail responses to me since
>I don't read news all that often.

Please post your responses.  I DO read news, and I am also looking.  I
want NTSC composite or s-video in (out would be nice also) and
resolution like 640 x 480 x 256 colors minimum.  I'd like
800 x 600 x 256 colors.  I would like the hardware to include some
software to get the captured image into a standard file format such
as PCX or GIF or TIFF or similar.  The card should have the ability
to connect to the 'feature connector' on my SVGA card.

I would even be interested in a kit or schematics I could build
and shareware software for it.

Dean Lindsay