[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] SMARTDRV and PKZIP problem

v105mahs@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Peter P Donohue) (01/13/91)

   This question isn't about Windows per se, but about a few of the drivers
that came with MS Windows 3.0.  The problem I am having is with SMARTDRV
(which came with Windows) and PKZIP (the archive program by Phil Katz).
   I was going through trying to improve the performance of my machine by
installing the disk cache program that came with Windows.  I installed it as:
	DEVICE=C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.SYS 2048 512
   When I add that line to my CONFIG.SYS and leave everything else the same,
it causes PKZIP to freeze.  Everything else seems to run fine, even PKUNZIP.
I have tried using a fresh copy of PKZIP, but to no avail.  I have also
tried allocating smaller cache sizes for SMARTDRV.
   My machine is a 386 with 4 meg of memory (high memory is extended, not
EMS).  The only drivers and TSRs that I install are DMDRVR.BIN (the driver
that comes with Segate disk controllers), HIMEM.SYS (comes with Windows), and
my mouse driver.
   Any ideas?  I would really like to be able to use a disk cache program.
Please reply by mail.  I will post a summary if people desire it.  Thanks
in advance for any info.

						Pete

Peter P. Donohue - University at Buffalo, Graduate School of Management
bitnet:   V105MAHS@UBVMS                  .  "Education is a journey
internet: V105MAHS@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU   .    not a destination..."

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Darmawan Ludirdja) (01/14/91)

v105mahs@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Peter P Donohue) writes:

>   This question isn't about Windows per se, but about a few of the drivers
>that came with MS Windows 3.0.  The problem I am having is with SMARTDRV
                                                                 ^^^^^^^^
>(which came with Windows) and PKZIP (the archive program by Phil Katz).
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   I was going through trying to improve the performance of my machine by
>installing the disk cache program that came with Windows.  I installed it as:
>	DEVICE=C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.SYS 2048 512
                  ^^^

  I'm just curious whether you're using the DOS version or Windows version.

>   When I add that line to my CONFIG.SYS and leave everything else the same,
>it causes PKZIP to freeze.  Everything else seems to run fine, even PKUNZIP.
>I have tried using a fresh copy of PKZIP, but to no avail.  I have also
>tried allocating smaller cache sizes for SMARTDRV.
>   My machine is a 386 with 4 meg of memory (high memory is extended, not
>EMS).  The only drivers and TSRs that I install are DMDRVR.BIN (the driver
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>that comes with Segate disk controllers), HIMEM.SYS (comes with Windows), and
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>my mouse driver.

 It is very likely that the problem is conflict with this driver!.
 I had experience before that I couldn't use Shell from BASICA, Lotus and some
 other popular software when I format the HD (seagate 251-1) with Ontrack
 disk manager (using DMDRVR.bin)

>   Any ideas?  I would really like to be able to use a disk cache program.
>Please reply by mail.  I will post a summary if people desire it.  Thanks
>in advance for any info.

 Back up your HD and reformat. Don't use Ontrack disk manager!.

>						Pete

>Peter P. Donohue - University at Buffalo, Graduate School of Management
>bitnet:   V105MAHS@UBVMS                  .  "Education is a journey
>internet: V105MAHS@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU   .    not a destination..."

 Good luck

 Darmawan
 dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

pwilliam@axion.bt.co.uk (Philip Williams) (01/14/91)

Smartdriv, Himem and pkunzip work fine for me - the problem
is probably elsewhere.

Philip

P M Williams                                pwilliams@axion.bt.co.uk
BTRL, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, Suffolk,  United Kingdom
'Phone 0473-642770        Message Pager 4226754 (bureau 0345 333111)

cummings@hammer.Prime.COM (Kevin Cummings) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan13.210101.9414@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Darmawan  Ludirdja) writes:
|> v105mahs@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Peter P Donohue) writes:
|>

|> >   This question isn't about Windows per se, but about a few of the
drivers
|> >that came with MS Windows 3.0.  The problem I am having is with
SMARTDRV

^^^^^^^^
|> >(which came with Windows) and PKZIP (the archive program by Phil
Katz).
|>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|> >   I was going through trying to improve the performance of my
machine by
|> >installing the disk cache program that came with Windows.  I
installed it as:
|> >	DEVICE=C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.SYS 2048 512
|> >   When I add that line to my CONFIG.SYS and leave everything else
the same,
|> >it causes PKZIP to freeze.  Everything else seems to run fine, even
PKUNZIP.
|> >I have tried using a fresh copy of PKZIP, but to no avail.  I have
also
|> >tried allocating smaller cache sizes for SMARTDRV.
|> >   My machine is a 386 with 4 meg of memory (high memory is
extended, not
|> >EMS).  The only drivers and TSRs that I install are DMDRVR.BIN (the
driver

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|> >that comes with Segate disk controllers), HIMEM.SYS (comes with
Windows), and
|>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|> >my mouse driver.
|>
|>  It is very likely that the problem is conflict with this driver!.
|>  I had experience before that I couldn't use Shell from BASICA, Lotus
and some
|>  other popular software when I format the HD (seagate 251-1) with
Ontrack
|>  disk manager (using DMDRVR.bin)
|>
|> >   Any ideas?  I would really like to be able to use a disk cache
program.
|> >Please reply by mail.  I will post a summary if people desire it.
Thanks
|> >in advance for any info.
|>
|>  Back up your HD and reformat. Don't use Ontrack disk manager!.
|>

|> >						Pete

-
|> >Peter P. Donohue - University at Buffalo, Graduate School of
Management
|> >bitnet:   V105MAHS@UBVMS                  .  "Education is a
journey
|> >internet: V105MAHS@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU   .    not a
destination..."

|>  Good luck
|>
|>  Darmawan
|>  dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

I use all of the above (and then some!).  SMARTDRV, DMDRVR, HIMEM,
MSMOUSE, EGA (Thank-you Microsoft), EGA2RAM, and a CLOCKFIX of my
own creation.  I have no problems using PKZIP (via SHEZ).  I'm not
saying Darmawan is wrong, I'm just saying it all works for me.
Obviously your mileage may vary.

Kevin J. Cummings                       Prime Computer Inc.
20 Briarwood Road                       500 Old Connecticut Path
Framingham, Mass.                       Framingham, Mass.

InterNet:  cummings@primerd.Prime.COM
UUCP:      {uunet, csnet-relay}!primerd.Prime.COM!cummings

Std. Disclaimer: "Mr. McKittrick, after careful consideration,
		  I've come to the conclusion that your new
		  defense system SUCKS..."   --  War Games