[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Advice selecting database program?

hamilton@motcid.UUCP (Danial Hamilton) (01/17/91)

I'm looking for advice in selecting a dbase type program.

I have no reason for selecting Ashton Tate other than it seems
to have become a de-facto standard.

Any opinions about some of the alternatives?

Foxbase, FoxPro,  (what's the difference?)

Clarion?

Others?

What about some of the integrated packages like Symphony or Smartware II?
An integrated communications application would be nice.

A language for developing applications is required.

Development of applications that can be run without the owning
a copy of the parent system is desirable.

-

skrbec@motcid.UUCP (Brad Skrbec) (01/17/91)

hamilton@motcid.UUCP (Danial Hamilton) writes:

>I'm looking for advice in selecting a dbase type program.

>I have no reason for selecting Ashton Tate other than it seems
>to have become a de-facto standard.

>Any opinions about some of the alternatives?

>Foxbase, FoxPro,  (what's the difference?)

>Clarion?

>Others?

>What about some of the integrated packages like Symphony or Smartware II?
>An integrated communications application would be nice.

>A language for developing applications is required.

>Development of applications that can be run without the owning
>a copy of the parent system is desirable.

I use Dbase IV, and RBase for DOS.  Both have their high and low
points.  They both offer their own languages, including SQL-like
command sets.  They both also offer library bindings, for writing
applications in other languages (C, pascal, etc).  These bindings
are separate, and nearly as expensive as the package itself.

I've found that RBase has a superior input form generator.  You
basically just draw your form the way you want it on the screen.
It allows for text fields that are bigger than your screen text
input area (scrolling fields, basically).  It also allows for
what they call cascaded forms.  An example of this is if you wanted
to create an order form which entered data into two databases, lets
say, the top part was your name address etc, and the bottom part was
a line by line description of your order information.  You would
generally want to describe this using two separate tables, but a
single form.  There are some limitations to the forms, but they
cover nearly everything.  Dbase has something similar, but not as
sophisticated.  I think Dbase, in general, has a nicer programming
language to work with.

Ashton Tate has just come out with a version of DBASE IV that is touted
to be a lot more bug free than the original version.  Rbase has also
recently come out with a new version said to be much faster, and more
elegant than its predecessor.  Both Rbase and Dbase allow user friendly
menu or less friendly command line operation.

Hope this helps!

| Brad Skrbec                | "For it is the doom of men that they forget." |
| Motorola Cellular          |                             -- Merlin         |
| Arlington Heights, IL      | UUCP: uunet!motcid!skrbec                     |
|                            | Internet: motcid!skrbec@uunet.uu.net          |