[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] MOre than two fixed disks?

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (01/17/91)

mcl9337@harpo.tamu.edu (LOWE, MARK CHRISTOPHER) writes:
>I have a 386 clone with Phoenix BIOS.  We already have two IDE drives installed
>and would like another.  Of course, the BIOS will only recognize two fixed
>disks.  Is there a driver of some sort that will allow me to have more than
>two?  Or is there a simpler method that I'm just not aware of??

Not with IDE.  Unless someone has developed an IDE adaptor with an on-board
BIOS that will allow MS-DOS to recognize the adaptor at a secondary port
address and IRQ.

The current implementation of IDE calls only for a single adaptor that handles
only two hard drives; a master and slave.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | What to buy?
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | EISA or MCA?
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | When will the bus wars end?
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 */