[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] BSR 386/16 and QEMM 5.11

jtw@cbnewsh.att.com (jui-tai.wang) (01/16/91)

Dear netters...
	I've purchased from DAK a BSR 386/16 with CD ROM drive a while
ago. Everything is working fine.

	Lately I have acquired te QEMM 5.11.  Once I put the line
"device=c:\qemm\qemm386.sys" into my config.sys, my 386sx refuse to boot.
In specific, it seem that once the "qemmreg.com" is executed, my pc
refuse to continue. This line is the VERY FIRST line in my config.sys.

	If I can draw a state diagram of the scenario, it looks like:
	a. press power switch
	b. pc run POST
	c. ROM boot and find boot section from FD or HD
	d. find boot sector on HD and DOS find config.sys
	e. DOS go to execute qemm386.sys to load the driver
	f. qemm386.sys invoke qemmreg.com (?)
	g. hang :-( (sometimes the FD is still "accessed", which seems to
		me that the boot fw is confused, but only occassionally?)

	I have tried the IA, NOFILL, NOROM, DMA=64, DMA=128, NOSORT
NOTOPMEMORY, UNUSUALEXT options (different combinations also) for the
"qemm386.sys" without any success - it always stop after executed the
"qemmreg.com".

	Has anyone out there used a BSR 386 from DAK installed
with QEMM 5.11  experience anything similar? Any solution?

	I'm not sure if the CD-ROM drive controller card is by any change
a SCSI type card. Since the DISKBUF= options seems to deal with SCSI
performance only, I didn't try that yet.

	the BSR 386 is equipped with AWARD 3.03 AT BIOS. Manifest said
the BIOS date is 1985, but when I used Paradox3.5 utility to check
the config, it said the BIOS is date 1989. Not sure who is right.

	The BIOS does not support selective shadow RAM (ie, cannot map BIOS ROM
to RAM selectively...maybe its done automatically?)

	Any help is appreciated!!!

Richard Wang
ATT
standard disclaimer follow
att!corona!jtw
(PS, I believe by default all your response will direct to me via mail, as
I have selected.)

gordo@pro-gateway.cts.com (Gordon Aikman) (01/17/91)

   I have had the same problem with my Quadram 386-16.  I went all around
pulling my hair out because I couldn't find the problem. I tried EVERYTHING!!
Then I redid my config.sys for the hell of it and put "DEVICE=QUAD.SYS"
instead of "DEVICE=C:\QUADRAM\QUAD.SYS" and I moved the QUAD.SYS to root and
it stopped f*cking up. Try that and tell me what you get...

gordo(n)

  Internet/ProLine: gordo@pro-gateway.cts.com
+-----------+ UUCP: crash!pro-gateway!gordo
|Pro-Gateway| ARPA: crash!pro-gateway!gordo@nosc.mil