[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] How to extend the environment space?

@crdgw1.crd.ge.com:hil@cs.brown.edu (exos:) (01/15/91)

    When I set too much environment variables, the following
error message appears:

          Out of environment space.

How can avoid this error? Any help is very appreciated!

Hsueh-I

s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Soon Mok) (01/16/91)

@crdgw1.crd.ge.com:hil@cs.brown.edu (exos:) writes:

>    When I set too much environment variables, the following
>error message appears:
>
>          Out of environment space.
>How can avoid this error? Any help is very appreciated!

It's exactly what it says. Command.com has run out of its default 160 bytes of
environment space. To alleviate this problem put this into your config.sys
file:

shell=c:\dos\command.com /e:256
(assuming command.com is in your c:\dos directory)

This will give MSDOS 256bytes of environment space. It can an integer from
160 (the default) up to 32768.

Eugene...
--
-----/ _ _ \--------------------------------------------------------------------
     | o o |    Eugene Mok  s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au  (Melbourne OZ)
     \  ^  /    Fidonet 3:633/375
------\ o /---------------------------------------------------------------------

sn@polari.UUCP (Shade Nightwing) (01/16/91)

In article <3125@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> @crdgw1.crd.ge.com:hil@cs.brown.edu (exos:) writes:

>    When I set too much environment variables, the following
>error message appears:
>
>          Out of environment space.
>
>How can avoid this error? Any help is very appreciated!

In your CONFIG.SYS file (if you don't have one, then create it) there should be
a line that says:
      shell=c:\command.com c:\ /p /e:1024
the number after the e: is how many bytes to have in your environment space.
By the way, I don't know the exact level of DOS you need for this to work;
I know that it does work fine for v3.3 and up.

richard@iesd.auc.dk (Richard Flamsholt S0rensen) (01/16/91)

Soon> shell=c:\dos\command.com /e:256

  A small reminder: don't forget to add the /p flag if you want your
autoexec.bat to be run (and you probably do ;-), ie

	shell=c:\dos\command.com /e:256  /p

  Richard
--
/Richard Flamsholt
richard@iesd.auc.dk

ralphs@sumax.seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (01/17/91)

s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Soon Mok) writes:

> shell=c:\dos\command.com /e:256
> (assuming command.com is in your c:\dos directory)

> This will give MSDOS 256bytes of environment space. It can an integer from
> 160 (the default) up to 32768.

Except for some editions of DOS that use /e:nn, where nn is the number
of paragraphs of environment (16 bytes each, if memory serves).  The
range is normally from 10 to 62, with 10 being the default.  This was
true for most versions of DOS 3.1 and may have carried over to subsequent
releases.

felixc@cbnewsj.att.com (felix.cabral) (01/17/91)

In article <7867@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Soon Mok) writes:
>@crdgw1.crd.ge.com:hil@cs.brown.edu (exos:) writes:
>>          Out of environment space.
>>How can avoid this error? Any help is very appreciated!
>
>It's exactly what it says. Command.com has run out of its default 160 bytes of
>environment space. To alleviate this problem put this into your config.sys
>file:
>
>shell=c:\dos\command.com /e:256
>(assuming command.com is in your c:\dos directory)
>
>This will give MSDOS 256bytes of environment space. It can an integer from
>160 (the default) up to 32768.

I have dos 4.01 and used the shell variable in my config file with values
up to /e:2048. IT DONT WORK! Why?

I still get environment space problems. The messgae is printed by the
"autopath" program which I use to increase my path more than 128bytes.
I need to have a larger path but the environment space is not there.
Somebody please help. I recall seeing something about a PD program which
claimed to increase the envir space. However, this was over a year ago
and have not seen any more stuff on it since.

--
Felix Cabral         {felixc@mtgzz.att.com}      "Just give me a rad
AT&T Bell Labs       {  att!mtgzz!felixc  }       wave, a rad board and

jch@cbnewsh.att.com (jeffrey.c.halle) (01/17/91)

From article <7867@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au>, by s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Soon Mok):
> @crdgw1.crd.ge.com:hil@cs.brown.edu (exos:) writes:
>

>>    When I set too much environment variables, the following
>>error message appears:
>>
>>          Out of environment space.
>>How can avoid this error? Any help is very appreciated!

The suggestions given will work if it's the lowest level shell.  However, if
it's a higher shell, such as a DOS escape in many programs, the environment
space for that shell reverts to the default 160, or whatever is required for
the existing environment.  There will be no room for such things as augmenting
the path or setting new variables.  I have not discovered any way around this
situation.

kdq@demott.com (Kevin D. Quitt) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan17.143701.2034@cbnewsh.att.com> jch@cbnewsh.att.com (jeffrey.c.halle) writes:
>From article <7867@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au>, by s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Soon Mok):
>> @crdgw1.crd.ge.com:hil@cs.brown.edu (exos:) writes:
>>

>>>    When I set too much environment variables, the following
>>>error message appears:
>>>
>>>          Out of environment space.
>>>How can avoid this error? Any help is very appreciated!
>
>The suggestions given will work if it's the lowest level shell.  However, if
>it's a higher shell, such as a DOS escape in many programs, the environment
>space for that shell reverts to the default 160, or whatever is required for
>the existing environment.  There will be no room for such things as augmenting
>the path or setting new variables.  I have not discovered any way around this
>situation.

    Have you included the /p in your config.sys?

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com