[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] 386SX Motherboards

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (01/19/91)

In article <oXmoV2w163w@zooid.UUCP> dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) writes:
>ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
>> I too was looking for a 386SX motherboard a couple of months ago, but was
>> told repeatedly by different mail-order houses that due to short supply
>> of the 386SX mb, they are only selling SX as a system.  One guy said
>> that the big japanese firms are snatching up the SX mb's.  Does anyone
>> know if the SX mb is still in short supply and is the japanese thing
>> true?
>>
>I have heard that (in Canada at least, which is pretty similiar to the US)
>the shortage isn't as bad as it was a few months ago. About the Japanese
>buying up all the boards, from what I heard the problem is in Europe, where
>apparently they are paying much higher prices for the boards as PCs pick up
>in popularity.

I see plenty of SX motherboards at the swap meets on a regular basis.  No
shortage here in L.A.  What's perhaps interesting is that while DX and 486
prices have been falling, SX boards have been about the same price for
over a year now.

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

Offensive quote coming soon to a .signature file near you.