[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] 638kb of base memory? [Problem identified >> STONED virus :

victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Victor Menayang) (01/19/91)

In article <42695@ut-emx.uucp> victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Victor Menayang) writes:

>OK, I know this is not as important as the gulf problem.
>But, I have my own problem here.
>I just installed 1Mbit dram chips on my 286 clone, upgrading
>the memory from 1MB to 2MB on motherboard.
>The memory count at startup reports the correct 640kb of base
>memory and 1408kb of extended memory. But DOS and all programs
>that can report memory size say that there is only
>638kb worth of memory.
>Could any expert here suggests what is going wrong?
>The system uses Suntac chipset. I don't have any driver
>that can possibly take 2kb of base memory without
>reporting it.
>Thank you very much for any suggestion.

I d/l scan72 from wuarchive and found out that the 2kb of memory
was actually stolen by the "stoned" virus. Thanks to those
who responded to my message.

--
Victor Menayang         victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Internet)
                                           vm@UTXVM (BITNET)