[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] The real story with IDE drives and low-level formats

spierk@cs.rpi.edu (Kevin Spier) (01/19/91)

Can anybody tell me what the real deal with IDE drives and low-level
formating is? I have heard that "you cannot low-level format IDE
drives".  If this is the case then what happens in the case where you
run some piece of software that attempts this (eg. SpinRite or
Norton)? Do they fail, but render the drive useless? Please e-mail to
me and I will post a summary if there is interest.

Kevin L. Spier
spierk@turing.cs.rpi.edu

huis@testeng1.misemi (Stephen Hui) (01/19/91)

IDE drives are pre-low level formatted in factory. All you have to do is FDISK
and FORMAT. You can low level format IDE only if you have the right software,
e.g. Disk Manager 4.3 for Seagate, which will low level format all Seagate IDE
drive. Norton Utilities & Spinrite will work on IDE drive but incorrectly. They
are fool by the drive and take the translated mode as the drive parameters. I
did re-formatted an IDE drive Seagate ST-157A with Spinrite II. Spinrite II
reported the same transfer rate with any interlave (1 to 7 or 8), and I just
let Spinrite II re-formatted the drive as the initial interlave.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Stephen Hui                     uunet!mitel!testeng1!huis
Mitel Corporation               Tel: (613) 592-2122 X4959
Kanata, Ontario, CANADA         Fax: (613) 592-4784

gwoho@nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) (01/20/91)

spierk@cs.rpi.edu (Kevin Spier) writes:

>Can anybody tell me what the real deal with IDE drives and low-level
>formating is? I have heard that "you cannot low-level format IDE
>drives".  If this is the case then what happens in the case where you
>run some piece of software that attempts this (eg. SpinRite or
>Norton)? Do they fail, but render the drive useless? Please e-mail to
>me and I will post a summary if there is interest.

>Kevin L. Spier
>spierk@turing.cs.rpi.edu
i've llformated my ide drive with the ami bios. no problems.
gwoho liu.