[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Simtel Updates

vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu (James M. VandeVegt) (01/20/91)

In article <1991Jan15.154353.23909@news.gvl.unisys.com> ean@gvlv3.gvl.unisys.com (Ed Naratil) writes:
>I haven't seen any messages regarding latest updates to the
>SIMTEL files.  Have there been any since November?  Maybe our site
>is no longer receiving them?
>----
>Ed Naratil                                     (All standard disclaimers apply)
>Amateur Packet: W3BNR@N3LA.#epa.PA.USA.NA      ean@gvlv3.gvl.unisys.com

I havn't been able to connect to SIMTEL either.  Sometimes it says
that a connection is refused, other times it says that too many
anonymous users are logged on.

What is its capacity?  Is it up?  I've tried during several different
times of the day.

| James M. VandeVegt             |  University of Nebraska           |
| vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu       |  Computer Science and Engineering |

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (01/20/91)

ean@gvlv3.gvl.unisys.com (Ed Naratil) writes:
>I haven't seen any messages regarding latest updates to the
>SIMTEL files.  Have there been any since November?  Maybe our site
>is no longer receiving them?

You are in the wrong newsgroup.  The upload announcements are posted
to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d.

SIMTEL20 *is* up.  If you can't connect to it, complain to your system
administrator.  There have been some routing problems on the Internet
which SIMTEL20 has no control over.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (01/20/91)

In article <1991Jan19.222330.26970@hoss.unl.edu> vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu (James M. VandeVegt) writes:
>In article <1991Jan15.154353.23909@news.gvl.unisys.com> ean@gvlv3.gvl.unisys.com (Ed Naratil) writes:
>>I haven't seen any messages regarding latest updates to the
>>SIMTEL files.  Have there been any since November?  Maybe our site
>>is no longer receiving them?

Subscribe to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d. The announcements are there.

>I havn't been able to connect to SIMTEL either.  Sometimes it says
>that a connection is refused, other times it says that too many
>anonymous users are logged on.
>
>What is its capacity?  Is it up?  I've tried during several different
>times of the day.

Now why don't you use automated ftp to connect to Simtel20, and/or
other ftp sites.  It is much more efficient, and besides saves your
own nerves.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

theall@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu (George A. Theall) (01/20/91)

In article <1991Jan20.060225.29396@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
>Now why don't you use automated ftp to connect to Simtel20, and/or
>other ftp sites.  It is much more efficient, and besides saves your
>own nerves.

   Anyone not already using automated transfers should do so. Being
able to set up things to run at, say, 3 am and have the files waiting
next morning makes accessing the archives on SIMTEL20 *so* much easier.

   Those working with unix might check out either BATCHFTP or AUTOFTP.
Both of these are available from SIMTEL20 in directory pd1:<misc.unix>
-- files batchftp102.tar-z and autoftp30.tar-z. I'd imagine they're
available from other sites as well.

George
---
theall@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu			Dept. of Economics