[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Algorithm for Income Tax ?

aep@world.std.com (Andrew E Page) (01/20/91)

In article <14772@milton.u.washington.edu> gnat@milton.u.washington.edu (lbf) writes:

>I am looking for an algorithm to calculate income tax on a weekly
>basis.  Does anyone know how the IRS does it?
>
>Somehow, I think that is a loaded question :-)
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Laura
>gnat@milton.u.washington.edu

(I can't RESIST!!)

 Yes there is an algorithm for computing the incometax on a weekly
basis that will also include capital gains, depreciation on equipment,
and earned income credit for low level employees.

The algorithm comes packaged from the IRS, and in its first issue was
10,000 lines of code (in ADA, IRS being a government agency).  Subsequent
"reforms" by the house and senate have improved on the accuracy now at
an all time high of 7%, and the last revsion only required an increase
of a single additional CRAY as opposed to the former revision which
required an addition of three CRAYs to the existing 8 in the recommened
hardware configuration.  Both the house and the senate praised themselves
for this fine example of bi-partisan compromise and voted themselves
a raise next week.  In the latest issue the code is 1,000,000 of lines
ADA long, demonstrating once again the congress and the IRS REALLY CARES
about the citizens.

--
Andrew E. Page (Warrior Poet)   |   Decision and Effort The Archer and Arrow
Concepts Engineering            |     The difference beteween what we are