[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] pkunzip

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (01/13/91)

:
>>PKZIP (tm)   FAST!   Create/Update Utility   Version 0.92   03-06-89
:                                                      ^^^^

Here is your problem.  You are using an outdated version of pkzip.
The current version is 1.10.  Available from any well-stocked BBS or
anonymous ftp site.  At uwasa.fi archives look for pkz110eu.exe in
the /pc/pd2 directory for the self-extracting package.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (01/13/91)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc, clagett@ms.uky.edu (Bill Clagett) typed:
$>PKZIP (tm)   FAST!   Create/Update Utility   Version 0.92   03-06-89
                                                       ^^^^

   That's your problem; you're two versions behind.  You should be able to
find V1.10 somewhere on SIMTEL20 or a mirror site.

$> Length   Method   Size   Ratio   Date    Time   Name
$> -------  ------   ------ -----   ----    ----   ----
$>   53417  Unknown   20924  61%  04-09-89  13:25  FRACTINT.DOC
            ^^^^^^^

   That's the message it gives you if it doesn't know how to handle a file
in an archive.  To find out what the minimum version you need is, try

pkzip -vt archivename
        ^
        this means "technical" and will spew forth more information on the
        thing than you really need, but one of its features is that it will
        tell you the version of PKZIP used to compress each file and the
        version of PKUNZIP needed to uncompress each file.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always
(__  | | |  | |_  |_) >----------------------------------< searching

steve@conch.UUCP (steve) (01/14/91)

[part of message deleted for brevity]

>>PKUNZIP (tm)    FAST!    Extract Utility    Version 0.92    03-06-89
>>Copyright 1989 PKWARE Inc.  All Rights Reserved.  PKUNZIP/h for help
>>
>>Searching ZIP: FRACTINT.ZIP
>>PKUNZIP: Warning! I don't know how to handle: FRACTINT.DOC
>>PKUNZIP: Warning! I don't know how to handle: FRACTINT.EXE

The problem is due to your use of an old version of pkunzip (Version 0.92)
The latest version of Pkzip/Pkunzip is 1.02.  It uses some different
conventions for packing files, and files created with is are not compatible
with version 0.92.

Version 1.02 should be available on SIMTEL, and also any of your local
BBS systems.

Steve

wilken@plains.NoDak.edu (Scott Wilken) (01/14/91)

In article <352@conch.UUCP> steve@conch.UUCP (steve) writes:
>>>PKUNZIP (tm)    FAST!    Extract Utility    Version 0.92    03-06-89
>
>The problem is due to your use of an old version of pkunzip (Version 0.92)
>The latest version of Pkzip/Pkunzip is 1.02.  It uses some different

This is incorrect...  The lastest version of PKZIP/PKUNZIP is 1.10.  As was
mentioned earlier, this is available from Simtel, wuarchive (or anyplace that
has dos software, and has updated its inventory within the last year or so).

Good luck!

Scott
--
                      Internet:  wilken@plains.nodak.edu
                         UUCP:  ..!uunet!plains!wilken

jeffw@pro-gateway.cts.com (Jeff Woods) (01/15/91)

I suspect that your problem with PKzip is because you are using version 0.92,
a beta release that doesn't support some compaction methods added in later
versions of PKzip.  The latest version of PKzip I have seen is 1.20 and should
be available from normal PD/ShareWare channels.  The only eveidence I see that
this may not be the case is that the compression date on the files is 04-09-89
and the release date for PKzip 0.92 (according to your capture) is 03-06-89.
That means that a later version of PKzip would have been right on the tails of
0.92.  Possible, but not likely.  The only other possibilty I see is a
corrupted copy of either the ZIP file or of PKunzip itself.

I hope this helps.  :)

  Internet/ProLine: jeffw@pro-gateway.cts.com
+-----------+ UUCP: crash!pro-gateway!jeffw
|Pro-Gateway| ARPA: crash!pro-gateway!jeffw@nosc.mil
|214/6445113| America Online: JeffDWoods
+-Dallas,TX-+

eric@cs.fau.edu (Eric Thav) (01/15/91)

>versions of PKzip.  The latest version of PKzip I have seen is 1.20 and should
>be available from normal PD/ShareWare channels.  The only eveidence I see that

This is incorrect.  PKZIP 1.20 *does* not exist except as a hacked/pirated
version.  The correct, current release of PKZIP is still 1.10 available
on systems as PKZ110.EXE (or PKZ110EU.EXE for the exportable version).

 Eric Thav        Editor/Publisher, Eric Thav's South Florida BBS List
   GEnie: E.THAV      PC Link: EricThav     INTERNET: eric@acc.fau.edu
 PRODIGY: NMVG80A      FAUVAX: eric           BITNET: eric@fauvax

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (01/15/91)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc, steve@conch.UUCP (steve) typed:
$The problem is due to your use of an old version of pkunzip (Version 0.92)
$The latest version of Pkzip/Pkunzip is 1.02.  It uses some different

   *BZZT*  Version 1.10 was released on March 15, 1990.  Its archives can
be read by PKunzip V1.01/1.02 assuming you don't use a features such as
encryption.

   The export edition of V1.10 is available somewhere on Simtel20; it's
missing DES, since it's illegal to export that all over the world.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always
(__  | | |  | |_  |_) >----------------------------------< searching
 __) | |_ \/  |__ | \ | if you don't like my posts, type |    for
_____________________/  find / -print|xargs cat|compress |   SNTF

MSR113@psuvm.psu.edu (Matt Richmond) (01/20/91)

In article <7736@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au>, s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Soon Mok)
says:

>clagett@ms.uky.edu (Bill Clagett) writes:
>
>>>PKUNZIP (tm)    FAST!    Extract Utility    Version 0.92    03-06-89
>                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>Copyright 1989 PKWARE Inc.  All Rights Reserved.  PKUNZIP/h for help
>>>
>>>Searching ZIP: FRACTINT.ZIP
>>>PKUNZIP: Warning! I don't know how to handle: FRACTINT.DOC
>>>PKUNZIP: Warning! I don't know how to handle: FRACTINT.EXE
>
>It's possible that the FRACTINT.ZIP file was zipped by an older version
>of pkzip. Try getting a newer version, V1.10 is the latest I believe, and
>give it another go.

I think you have it mixed up a little..  Probably the fractint program
was zipped with version 1.1, and the person tried to unzip with an
obsolete version.  To the original poster:  You'll need to obtain
PKZ110.EXE from some FTP site, I believe SIMTEL has the European
version which does everything except encryption..  Hope this helps..

--Matt

vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu (James M. VandeVegt) (01/21/91)

In article <91019.215122MSR113@psuvm.psu.edu> Matt Richmond <MSR113@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
>In article <7736@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au>, s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Soon Mok)
>says:
>>                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>It's possible that the FRACTINT.ZIP file was zipped by an older version
>>of pkzip. Try getting a newer version, V1.10 is the latest I believe, and
>>give it another go.
>
>I think you have it mixed up a little..  Probably the fractint program
>was zipped with version 1.1, and the person tried to unzip with an
>obsolete version.  To the original poster:  You'll need to obtain
>PKZ110.EXE from some FTP site, I believe SIMTEL has the European
>version which does everything except encryption..  Hope this helps..
>
>--Matt

Matt is right, the file was zipped with ver 1.10 and it cannot be
unzipped with anything less than 1.02, according to documentation.
Actually, one of the programs (PKZIP or PKUNZIP) has a verbose view
which tells you which version is required for each file in the ZIP.
Also, I have yet to se a decent BBS system that does not have
PKZ110.EXE.  If I find one that does not, I upload it and then
promptly log off and never call back.

| James M. VandeVegt             |  University of Nebraska           |
| vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu       |  Computer Science and Engineering |