[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Antisocial ZOO behavior?

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (01/13/91)

I'm not sure if this is a feature or a bug, but I found a disturbing
behavior in zoo.  If you tell zoo to do a "uM" on "*", it will delete
files which are not in the archive.  Here's an example.  Assume
"foo.zoo" contains files "bar" and "baz".

$ zoo x foo bar
Zoo:  bar            -- extracted
$ touch bar                            # do something to "bar"
$ touch xyzzy                          # create new file "xyzzy"
$ zoo uM foo *
Zoo:  bar   --  ( 0%) replaced
-----
Erasing added files...
Zoo:  bar   -- erased
Zoo:  xyzzy -- erased

File "xyzzy" was erased without being placed in the archive.  I
didn't want it in the archive; I only wanted to update files already
in the archive.  But I didn't want it erased, either.  Is this a
known problem, or is there some workaround -- or is it operator
error?
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (01/22/91)

In <1991Jan13.010644.10581@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:

>If you tell zoo to do a "uM" on "*", it will delete
>files which are not in the archive.

The interaction of "u" (update) and "M" (move) has been reported to
cause some problems.  This was originally intended to be a feature but
users have told me that it's a bug.  Due to be fixed in next release.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi