[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] PD C compilers

burnett@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Andy Burnett) (01/19/91)

  I have been scavaging around the various IBM archives looking for a
PD C compiler and have so far been unsuccesful.  Can anyone recommend a good
one and where I can find it?

	Thanks in advance,

  &y Burnett   |  burnett@mentor.cc.purdue.edu  |

sjo@cci632.UUCP (Steve Owens) (01/22/91)

In article <4021@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, burnett@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Andy Burnett) writes:

>   I have been scavaging around the various IBM archives looking for a
> PD C compiler and have so far been unsuccesful.  Can anyone recommend a good
> one and where I can find it?

	Depends on what you want to do.

	SIMTEL has what's known as the Small C compiler, which more or less
follows standard C conventions.  I say "more or less" because it doesn't
have floating point data types, doesn't support structures, and, if I remember
correctly, doesn't support switch/case statements.  Also, the code it
produces may not be optimized as well as some of the commercial compilers.

	However, it is a self-generating compiler, so it would be possible
to add these other capabilities to it, if you have the inclination.  As far
as it goes, these additions may already be available over the net (it's been
a while since I got my copy.)  However, if all you need is a compiler to
do character or integer based operations, this should work for you.

	If not, the next solution would be a commercially available C
compiler.  Most of the basic ones can be had for less than $120.

> 	Thanks in advance,

	No problem.  Hope this helped.

>   &y Burnett   |  burnett@mentor.cc.purdue.edu  |

							SJO

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (01/22/91)

Check out the price at Computer Answers for Quick C ( in
Lafayette) My memory is less than $60. Good manuals etc might
make that more reasonable than FREE. Also Purdue University
sells Turbo C from Stores for departmental use, and I think
the store in the Armory has it also. I paid $130 for Turbo
C++ Professional from Stores.
Clarence Wilkerson 494-1955

alpert@chovax.enet.dec.com (Agent of Goldstein) (01/22/91)

Although not public domain, or even shareware, the Mix "Power C"
compiler is the next best thing.  This is an ANSI-compliant C compiler
for 19.95!  Anyone wanting C on a budget should probably check it out.

I have used Power C for some time and am very satisified with this
product.  It supports small, medium, and large memory models as well
as "huge" (>64K) data types.  Source-level debugger is an additional
19.95, library source is 10.00.  Low-cost windowing and database libraries
are also available.

The only negative thing I have found using the Mix tools is that
the "Ctrace" debugger is limited to 64K symbol table space; unfortunately
this quickly fills up when debugging programs having large numbers of
structures and/or global variables. This is a shame as the debugger
appears to be very good aside from this limitation.

The compiler can be ordered direct from Mix at 1-800-333-0330.  I have
no connection with that company except as a satisfied customer.

  Bob Alpert       { alpert@chovax.dec.com            }  Suspicion breeds
  DEC              { ...!decwrl!chovax.dec.com!alpert }  confidence.
  Cherry Hill, NJ  { alpert%chovax.dec@decwrl.dec.com }

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (01/23/91)

<In article <4021@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, burnett@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Andy Burnett) writes:
<
<>   I have been scavaging around the various IBM archives looking for a
<> PD C compiler and have so far been unsuccesful.  Can anyone recommend a good
<> one and where I can find it?

Well, it's not PD, but it IS almost free:

	Dunsoft Micro-C  by David Dunfield - Evening phone: 613-825-0257

The shareware fee is something like $25-$35 (Canadian),
and the package includes full source code and mammoth documentation.
The compiler is cross-targetable for 8088, 6809, 8080 etc..,
and includes library functions for "instant TSRs" and other goodies.

NOT a full C implementation, but it does include about 95% of the language.

Highly recommended.
--
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |