[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Help needed

senhu@wam.umd.edu (Sen Hu) (10/09/90)

  I am new in this newsgroup and new in U.S. I want to buy a pc 386
for my use. I read "Computer Shopper", many companies there. I don't
know which one is better. Can anybody send me a list about the
information for good companies making pc?
Thank you very much.

gt5116b@prism.gatech.EDU (TUREK,GABRIELLA) (01/23/91)

Help! I'm would like to know if there is a way to send mail
to my father who works for IBM overseas and has access to
IBM's internal "profs" network.
Is this network entirely self contained or is there a
special address one can use to mail to it.
Any help is appreciated! Please respond directly to me as
i don't usually read this newsgroup. Thanx Gaby
gt5116b@prism.gatech.edu

geurin@cod.NOSC.MIL (Chance) (01/23/91)

From article <20089@hydra.gatech.EDU>, by gt5116b@prism.gatech.EDU (TUREK,GABRIELLA):
> Is this network entirely self contained or is there a
> special address one can use to mail to it.

I too, would be interested in finding out if there is indeed a way to
mail to IBM's network.
Thanks!

Chance C. Geurin
NOSC
geurin@cod.nosc.mil

graff@mlpvm2.iinus1.ibm.com ("Michael Graff") (01/23/91)

> I too, would be interested in finding out if there is indeed a way to
> mail to IBM's network.

Yes, there is!  IBM recently implemented a corporate Internet mail
gateway (*.iinus1.ibm.com).  Any IBMer can use it, but they must fill
out a simple online form in order to register for access.  You can
only send mail to IBMers who have registered.

If you want to send mail to an IBMer who hasn't registered yet, tell
them to look at INTERNET FORUM on the IBMPC or IBMVM disk.  That file
has all the details for registering and using the gateway.

There's also a gateway owned by the IBM Research Division (ibm.com).

...Michael

phil@wubios.wustl.edu (J. Philip Miller) (01/23/91)

In article <2735@cod.NOSC.MIL> geurin@cod.NOSC.MIL (Chance) writes:
>From article <20089@hydra.gatech.EDU>, by gt5116b@prism.gatech.EDU (TUREK,GABRIELLA):
>> Is this network entirely self contained or is there a
>> special address one can use to mail to it.
>
>I too, would be interested in finding out if there is indeed a way to
>mail to IBM's network.
>Thanks!

This is not really appropriate to this group, but I am postings so we don't
have more "me too".  It is indeed possible, but the gateway between
Bitnet/Internet to the Internal IBM network is smart and requires a specific
"connection" to be authorized.  This requires the recepient to request, thru
normal IBM channels that they be authorized to receive mail from a specific
address.  This authorization, as I understand it, needs to be renewed from
time to time.

-phil

--
     J. Philip Miller, Professor, Division of Biostatistics, Box 8067
	 Washington University Medical School, St. Louis MO 63110