[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] VGA cards....

Aamir.Zakaria@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) (08/05/90)

I have a PC/XT clone with a TTL monochrome monitor.  I'm looking to buy
a VGA card that is a)compatible with my current system, and b)upgradeable
to 16-bit.  I'm told that the ATI VGA Wonder would do the trick, but it
seems that the mail-order places I'm calling are only stocking the ATI
VGA Wonder Plus.  Does anyone know the difference?  Can you give me a
recommendation?  Do you know of any good mail-order places to get this
stuff cheap?

Thanks a lot!

whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (08/06/90)

In article <706@beguine.UUCP> Aamir.Zakaria@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) writes:
>I have a PC/XT clone with a TTL monochrome monitor.  I'm looking to buy
>a VGA card that is a)compatible with my current system, and b)upgradeable
>to 16-bit.  I'm told that the ATI VGA Wonder would do the trick, but it
>seems that the mail-order places I'm calling are only stocking the ATI
>VGA Wonder Plus.  Does anyone know the difference?  Can you give me a
>recommendation?  Do you know of any good mail-order places to get this
>stuff cheap?
I bought my ATI Small Wonder from MCS.  It hasn't given me any grief to
date.  Send to karl@mcs.mcs.com - He's the owner.

Disclaimer:  I don't work for MCS - I just like their service.
--
whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM | I don't know, who's at DDSW1? | whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM!
I asked YOU who's at DDSW1! Ok, there's a guy at DDSW1, right? | Right!

jps@uh.msc.umn.edu (Jeff P. Sorvik) (01/15/91)

Does anyone have recommendations for a mid-range VGA Card.  I have been
consindering the Paradise Professional or the ATI VGA Wonder +.  I need
for use with windows, and my present monitor only operates up to 60 Mhz.

Thanks,
                                       _                  _
                                      ( )                ( )
                                  /\__/~\-/______________/~\-/_/\
                                 |   ----/-----sawyer-------/-   |
   _______________________________\_____/__________________/____/_____________
  |Jeff Sorvik (jps@msc.edu)      | "He is no fool who gives up that which    |
  |Technical Editor               | he cannot keep for that which he cannot   |
  |                               | lose."                                    |
  |Minnesota Supercomputer Center |                     -Jim Elliot           |

ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) (01/25/91)

>A short and simple question pertaining VGA cards.  What's the advantage
>of a 512K VGA card versus a 256K VGA card?
256k ==> 16 colors
512k ==> 256 colors
This is true for some of the resolution modes (possibly 320x200, 640x480...)
but I'm not sure which ones - depends on the card.
I think you also get higher resolution modes, too. Again, card dependant.
				-ted-

ted@helios.ucsc.edu |"He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the
W (408)459-2110     |Lord require of you but to do justice and to love kindness
H (408)423-2444     |and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8 (RSV)