[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] DOS 5.0 soon?

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (01/23/91)

I've been hearing that DOS 5.0 is coming out soon.  Does anyone know when?
And what features does it (or will it) give us?  Can it be used by the older
IBM PCs and ATs, or is it just for PS/2 (and/or EISA) computers?

The only thing that I've heard is that many of the DOS internal commands are
now external executables.  Also, that the DOS can manage more than 640kb.
Is this true or was someone pulling my leg?

Thanks.

     __________           Carnegie Mellon University             ___
    /          \                                            /   /    /_/ / /\/
   _/  /   /   / "Happy Computing ..."                   __/.  /__  / / / / /
  /     /     /     -- Computer Dr.
 /           /                          Internet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
/  -------  /   4730 Centre Ave. #412   BITnet:   jc58@andrew
\__________/    Pittsburgh, PA  15213   UUCP:    ...!uunet!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58

jc7o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joo C. Chung) (01/24/91)

	From what I've heard, Dos 5.0 will be able to convert extended memory
into high memory using Upper Memory Blocks (UMBs). This will allow you
to load drivers and other dos files into High Memory. Dos 5.0 also uses
a considerably less amount of memory from the base 640k. The Himem.sys
in D0s 5.0 will convert all the extended memory to expanded memory. This
himem.sys is the same version as the one that comes with Windows 3.0.
	Dos 5.0 also comes with a revised Dosshell. Not necessarily better than
the Dosshell that comnes with Dos 4.0. But the File Manager in the
Dosshell in Dos 5.0, I think, is better than the file manager in Dos
4.0.
	A friend of mine mentioned that he liked Dos 3.3 better than Dos 4.0
because it took up less memory. Well, Dos 5.0 will probably give you the
power of Dos 4.0 without sacrificing the small size of Dos 3.3.

Brought to you by,
Joo Chung.

mic@hpfcso.HP.COM (Marc Clarke) (01/24/91)

The most recent isue of PC Magazine has a discussion of the features expected
to be delivered in DOS 5.0 from Microsoft.

c37189h@saha.hut.fi (Harri "Haba" Suomalainen) (01/24/91)

In article <obbNx7m00VY64C4l8V@andrew.cmu.edu> jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) writes:
>The only thing that I've heard is that many of the DOS internal commands are
>now external executables.

Not true at all.

>  Also, that the DOS can manage more than 640kb.
>Is this true or was someone pulling my leg?

DOS 5.0 can swap command.com to extended/expanded memory. Also programs
can be loaded to upper memory block (ie. to segment at 1M..1M+64k) like
with qemm's loadhi. Anyway, swapping command.com and loading devices
and programs to upper memory reduce memory consuption a lot. They have
made the DOS smaller as well. Something like 600..625kb free is quite
reasonable, not a dream any more!

-hs
--
Harri Suomalainen         c37189h@saha.hut.fi         haba@otax.tky.hut.fi

storm@cs.mcgill.ca (Marc WANDSCHNEIDER) (01/26/91)

DOS 5.0 is basically everything that DOS4.01 was supposed to be.

I do not have it yet, but on a friends machine, the free memory available
was 632k!!!

On top of all the updated utilities, and fixed bugs, the new DOSSHELL
includes a TASK switcher.  It cannot yet multitask, but it still is quite
an improvement over the useless old shell.

Couple that with QEMM386 on a nice 386 system, and you are talking memory
city.!!!

./*-

storm@cs.mcgill.ca
Darkstorm aka