[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] 256 colors in Windows 3

schwalbe@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Jim Schwalbe) (01/25/91)

In article <35950003@hpcvra.cv.hp.com.> daveo@hpcvra.cv.hp.com.
(Dave Ochs) writes:
>I have a "256 color" driver for Windows 3 that came with my PC/display, but
>I can't see any difference when it's loaded.  What is supposed to change?  I
>had fantisized that those stupid dithered colors would turn into solids, but
>it didn't happen.  Is there something else that needs to be done besides
>telling Windows about the new driver?

Yeah, I noticed the same thing.  Seems that Windows 3.0 only supports 16 true
colors.  I think with the 256 color driver though you can run applications
that use more than 16 colors.  I've tried this and it works.  What I haven't
tried is seeing what happens running an application that uses 256 colors
under windows with a 16 color driver.  Has anyone noticed what happens here?
I'll have to try that.

.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
: Jim Schwalbe               .----------------. "Half of what I say is      :
: Hardware Research Group .--+-------------.  |  meaningless; but I say it  :
: Encore Computer Corp.   |  | E N C O R E |  |  so that the other half may :
: Mail:                   |  `-------------+--'  reach you."                :
:  schwalbe@encore.com    `----------------'             - Kahil Gibran     :
`---------------------------------------------------------------------------'

daly@ecs.umass.edu (Bryon Daly, ECE dept, UMass, Amherst) (01/25/91)

In article <13912@encore.Encore.COM>, schwalbe@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Jim Schwalbe) writes:
> In article <35950003@hpcvra.cv.hp.com.> daveo@hpcvra.cv.hp.com.
> (Dave Ochs) writes:
>>I have a "256 color" driver for Windows 3 that came with my PC/display, but
>>I can't see any difference when it's loaded.  What is supposed to change?  I
>>had fantisized that those stupid dithered colors would turn into solids, but
>>it didn't happen.  Is there something else that needs to be done besides
>>telling Windows about the new driver?
>>

> Yeah, I noticed the same thing.  Seems that Windows 3.0 only supports 16 true
> colors.  I think with the 256 color driver though you can run applications
> that use more than 16 colors.  I've tried this and it works.  What I haven't
> tried is seeing what happens running an application that uses 256 colors
> under windows with a 16 color driver.  Has anyone noticed what happens here?
> I'll have to try that.

Windows does only support 16 colors (except I've heard the the title screen
will use 256, but I haven't noticed it.)   You need an application that is
256 color "aware" to take advantage of the 256 colors.  Paintbrush can work
with 256 color BMP's, but won't give you a 256 color pallette.  There are
many other programs available that DO take advantage of the 256 colors: GIF
viewers, screen savers, and other graphics programs.  I think that programs
know enough to detect the 256 color ability on a system that it won't use
that mode with a 16 color driver.  But, if you try do display a 256 color
bmp with a 16 color system, I think it tries its best to display it using 16
colors (but I might be wrong - I can't exactly remember what happened when I
tried this.)  Perhaps Windows 3.1 will use 256 colors...

Oh yeah, to find out more about this stuff, there is a Frequently Asked
Questions file usually circulating on comp.windows.ms that will tell you all
about this sort of stuff.

Bryon Daly
daly@ecs.umass.edu

storm@cs.mcgill.ca (Marc WANDSCHNEIDER) (01/26/91)

I have installed the 256 color drivers for the ATI VGA wonder, and the
difference is phenomenal.  All the dithered colors remain the same, but
the support for the extended colors is there.

I recently converted a 256 color .GIF file, and use it as the background
bitmap.  The colors are AMAZING.

There is also a difference in the clarity of the dithered colors, and how
pure they appear to be.

I like it a LOT better.  It slows the system down a little, but it's worth
it.

storm@cs.mcgill.ca
Marc Wandschneider