[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Experience with UPS's

brad@huey.Jpl.Nasa.GOV (Brad Hines) (01/26/91)

We are getting ready to buy an uninterruptible power supply for our
network server.  Please let me know your experiences, especially which ones
to stay away from.  I have heard horror stories like ups's that decide to
deliver 80V when you plug too much into them or the like.

In particular, we're looking at supplies from Tripplite, Minuteman, and
Clary.

Please e-mail and I'll summarize.

--
Brad Hines
Internet: brad@huey.jpl.nasa.gov

josephc@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Joseph I. Chiu) (01/27/91)

brad@huey.Jpl.Nasa.GOV (Brad Hines) writes:

>We are getting ready to buy an uninterruptible power supply for our
>network server.  Please let me know your experiences, especially which ones
>to stay away from.  I have heard horror stories like ups's that decide to
>deliver 80V when you plug too much into them or the like.

Of the two UPS's that I've had the pleasure of owning, a Tripplite and a
Knapco (I think it's another company's UPS with a Knapco OEM label, however)
I have never had problems of 'undervoltage'...  Well, not quite...  There
was a time when I absent-mindedly connected a laser printer to the UPS's
outlet.  When the engine 'warmed up', the UPS immediately cycled itself
to prevent damage to itself (this was with the Tripplite).

Tripplite, apparently, has a very good reputation.  I know they've been in
business for a long time.

SIMPLE RULE OF THUMB: Buy a UPS that is rated at LEAST for the total wattage
of power you need to supply your equipment during an outage.  Usually, that
would only be the computer (Approx. 160 watts) and the monitor (varies, but
usually not more than 60 watts).  250 watts usually will "suffice".

When I talked to a sales-rep at Knapco (this was a few years ago), he informed
me that the ratings can usually be exceeded by an extra 10-20%, but I would
rather be on the safe side and underload the UPS.

UPS's are nice - when the whole block is dark because of a power outage, it
is nice to be the only house with the living-room lights on...

josephc@coil.caltech.edu               ...Just another lost soul in the universe