[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Can't RESTORE a file from a BACKUP set

alee@elaine39.stanford.edu (Andrew Lee) (01/12/91)

I'm posting this on behalf of my brother, who has no net access.

He has two sets of BACKUP disks produced by IBM DOS 3.30.  He's trying to
RESTORE them on the same machine, now running MS-DOS 4.01.  He's using
RESTORE /S, and it restores the set OK until it gets to one particular
file.  It restores the first part of this file, and then when he has to
change disks, it gives an error like "Unable to restore file", which the
manual says is some kind of file sharing error.  It continues on to the
next file on the disk without trouble, and finishes restoring the rest of
the BACKUP set fine.

My brother is using an XT clone with a 30M hard disk (no large partition)
and no network.  He tried to RESTORE them with SHARE both installed and
not installed.  Both backup sets, which are of different files, have
the same problem, each with one particular file.  My brother looked at
the files that RESTORE put on the hard disk, and found that the files
which RESTORE couldn't finish restoring had the archive bit set, while
none of the other files did.  (The files on the BACKUP disks all have
the same attributes, and are in the weird BACKUP format.)

So, does anybody know what's going on with this, and how my brother can
retrieve the files off his BACKUP disks?

	Andrew Lee
	alee@portia.stanford.edu

ralphs@sumax.seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (01/12/91)

alee@elaine39.stanford.edu (Andrew Lee) writes:

> So, does anybody know what's going on with this, and how my brother can
> retrieve the files off his BACKUP disks?

Maybe someone could offer the location of a neat little utility that
turns DOS's BACKUP'd disks into useable 'standard' format ones that
will allow you to just copy the files.  I checked SIMTEL20's listing
and didn't see anything resembling it.

huff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Steve Huff, University of Kansas, Lawrence) (01/13/91)

> He has two sets of BACKUP disks produced by IBM DOS 3.30.  He's trying to
> RESTORE them on the same machine, now running MS-DOS 4.01.

I'm able to do this from a PS/2 to my Gateway with the same DOS versions
you're using.  I'm not certain what the problem is, but I will caution
you: DO NOT BOOT THE 4.01 MACHINE UNDER 3.3 TO DO THE RESTORE.  This will
probably damage the FAT, and cause your files to be lost.

Compressing the file may be a possibility.  If that doesn't work, format
the disks using 4.01 and try again.  Good luck!

Steve
-----
Steve Huff, student, University of Kansas         HomeNet: 913 749 4720
Internet:  HUFF@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu   	          Bitnet: HUFF@Ukanvax.Bitnet
Don't_hold_your_breath_net:  P.O. Box 1225, Lawrence, KS  66044-8225

userAKDU@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Al Dunbar) (01/15/91)

In article <sV2NV2w164w@halcyon.uucp>, halcyon!ralphs@sumax.seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) writes:
>alee@elaine39.stanford.edu (Andrew Lee) writes:
>
>> So, does anybody know what's going on with this, and how my brother can
>> retrieve the files off his BACKUP disks?
>
>Maybe someone could offer the location of a neat little utility that
>turns DOS's BACKUP'd disks into useable 'standard' format ones that
>will allow you to just copy the files.  I checked SIMTEL20's listing
>and didn't see anything resembling it.

If the backup was produced under DOS X.YY, just find someone with
that same version, backup his/her disk, format, restore from your
X.YY backup set, backup with one of the many better-than-dos
backup utilities, restore your friend's disk (if he still is your
friend) to its previous state, then restore from the b-t-d set to
the target machine.

 -------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Al Dunbar          |
 Edmonton, Alberta  |  Disclaimer: "I disclaim disclaimers"
 CANADA             |
 -------------------+-------------------------------------------

mussar@bcars53.uucp (G. Mussar) (01/16/91)

In article <sV2NV2w164w@halcyon.uucp> halcyon!ralphs@sumax.seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) writes:
>alee@elaine39.stanford.edu (Andrew Lee) writes:
>
>> So, does anybody know what's going on with this, and how my brother can
>> retrieve the files off his BACKUP disks?
>
>Maybe someone could offer the location of a neat little utility that
>turns DOS's BACKUP'd disks into useable 'standard' format ones that
>will allow you to just copy the files.  I checked SIMTEL20's listing
>and didn't see anything resembling it.

It's prob. not that easy. You might try restor55.zip on simtel20. This is
a shareware replacement for restore which is more robust than MS's
restore. It can handled backup formats from DOS 2.0 to 4.01.
Gary Mussar  |Bitnet:  mussar@bnr.ca                  |  Phone: (613) 763-4937
BNR Ltd.     |  UUCP:  ..uunet!bnrgate!bcars53!mussar |  FAX:   (613) 763-2626

mussar@bcars53.uucp (G. Mussar) (01/29/91)

In article <alee.663670337@elaine39.stanford.edu> alee@elaine39.stanford.edu (Andrew Lee) writes:
>I'm posting this on behalf of my brother, who has no net access.
>
>He has two sets of BACKUP disks produced by IBM DOS 3.30.  He's trying to
>RESTORE them on the same machine, now running MS-DOS 4.01.

DOS backup/restore is notorious for not working with older versions. You might
wish to try a shareware package call restor55.zip (on simtel20). It is a more
robust version of restore that works with all versions of backup from 2.0 to
4.01. It might help you.