[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Procomm Version 2.0

wales@lrcsnl.enet.dec.com (David Wales) (01/24/91)

G'Day,

	I have heard rumblings about the iminent release of version 2.0 of
Procomm.  Unfortunately getting information on most software in Australia is
next to impossible so does anybody have it yet and if so how good is it and
what extra features/fixes have been added?

	I'm currently using version 1.1 and am reasonably happy with it but
there are a few shortfalls that I hope version 2 takes care of.

David.

| David Wales (VK2KWD) Sydney, Australia | Internet: wales@lrcsnl.enet.dec.com |
|                                        | FIDOnet:  3:712/517 (My Other Half) |
|  "Only 37 years 'till retirement!"     | UUCP:   decwrl!lrcsnl.enet!wales    |
|                                        |                                     |
|  Opinions expressed are mine and       | Voice:  (61) 2 561-7334 (Work)      |
|  mine only!                            | FAX:    (61) 2 561-7441             |

paul@devon.lns.pa.us (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) (01/26/91)

wales@lrcsnl.enet.dec.com (David Wales) writes:

+---------
| 	I have heard rumblings about the iminent release of version 2.0 of
| Procomm.  Unfortunately getting information on most software in Australia is
| next to impossible so does anybody have it yet and if so how good is it and
| what extra features/fixes have been added?
+---------

I ordered my upgrade day-before-yesterday, having been notified by mail
from Datastorm of it's existance.  Registered users of Procomm Plus will
be able to upgrade to 2.0 for $39 US; the regular retail price is $119 US.

The major changes, according to the brochure, are:

 o  Added Zmodem as an internal protocol.  2.0 now supports 15 internal
    protocols, as well as 3 user-defined ones.

 o  "Hundreds" of new commands have been added to the Aspect script
    language.  Also, Aspect scripts are now compiled.

 o  New dialing directory, with new Add, Sort and Jot capabilities.

 o  Microsoft-compatible mouse support.

 o  A new "File Name Clipboard" (patent applied for).  Cut filenames
    from the screen to an "electronic clipboard" while on-line.  When
    you're on-line to a BBS, for instance, as you come across files you
    want to download, simply "cut" the filenames to the clipboard.  When
    you're ready to download them, you can "paste" the filenames back at
    the download prompt.

 o  33 terminal emulations, supporting both 80 and 132 columns, where
    applicable.  EGA/VGA support.

I can't wait!

- paul

INTERNET:  paul@devon.lns.pa.us      |   Most of us know how to say nothing.
UUCP:      ...!rutgers!devon!paul    |          Few of us know when!

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (01/26/91)

In article <19305@shlump.nac.dec.com> wales@lrcsnl.enet.dec.com (David Wales) writes:
>	I have heard rumblings about the iminent release of version 2.0 of
>Procomm.  Unfortunately getting information on most software in Australia is
>next to impossible so does anybody have it yet and if so how good is it and
>what extra features/fixes have been added?

I got mine 2 days ago.  So far I have tried the mouse interface and the
auto-start Zmodem download.  Both work fine.  I think it is worth the
$39 upgrade price just for those features.  In addition, a BUNCH of new
terminal emulations are included and an improved, compiled script
language (haven't had time to check them out yet, however).

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (01/27/91)

Regarding the new Procomm 2.0, does its internal Kermit protocol sup-
port big packets or only the 90+ packet size?
--
Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (01/29/91)

Procomm Plus 2.0 supports up to 1024-byte packets in Kermit.

It also runs under DESQview and in the background, as did v1.1B.  That's how
I'm using it now!

- Jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet: reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:     ...decwrl!ricks.enet!reisert
77 Reed Road
Hudson, MA  01749-2895