[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] OS2 Dropped???

reichert@motcid.UUCP (Chuck KD9JQ) (01/29/91)

I just heard a rumor that MicroSoft has dropped OS2 in favor of MS-DOS and
Windows 3.0.  Anyone out there know for sure?

	Chuck Reichert  KD9JQ

U39648@uicvm.uic.edu (Darius Vaskelis) (01/29/91)

In article <4611@cocoa46.UUCP>, reichert@motcid.UUCP (Chuck KD9JQ) says:

>I just heard a rumor that MicroSoft has dropped OS2 in favor of MS-DOS and
>Windows 3.0.  Anyone out there know for sure?

Not quite.  Microsoft will be the primary developer of new versions of DOS
and IBM will be the primary developer of new versions of OS/2.  Both companies
will still work together on each operation system, they just put out a
statement clarifying which company is spearheading and guiding development.
Both companies will continue to market BOTH operating systems.

Windows is, was, and probably will always be a Microsoft exclusive product.
Although it's currently for DOS, IMHO you'll see the Windows kernel in OS/2
someday not that far down the road.  Also, there's still a LOT of hope for a
CPU-portable OS/2 in the future... you figure out the implications.

- Darius
  BITNET: U39648@UICVM              |      "Don't set fire to strangers."
Internet: u39648@uicvm.uic.edu      |      - Mr. Zarniwoop

Al_K_Shing@cup.portal.com (01/29/91)

>I just heard a rumor that MicroSoft has dropped OS2 in favor of MS-DOS and
>Windows 3.0.  Anyone out there know for sure?
>
>	Chuck Reichert  KD9JQ

Microsoft denied this in an article in the Seattle Times today (1/28/91).

The rumor started in a Wall Street Journal article which was also published
today.

I say where there's smoke there's fire, but MS isn't ready to admit this yet.

   Al Shing

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (01/30/91)

reichert@motcid.UUCP (Chuck KD9JQ) writes:

>I just heard a rumor that MicroSoft has dropped OS2 in favor of MS-DOS and
>Windows 3.0.  Anyone out there know for sure?

The Wall Street Journal carried the story on Monday.  They are usually
reliable.
--
Kevin O'Gorman ( kevin@kosman.UUCP, kevin%kosman.uucp@nrc.com )
voice: 805-984-8042 Vital Computer Systems, 5115 Beachcomber, Oxnard, CA  93035