[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Need help with WD-1002 HD Controller card

coil@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stacy D Coil) (01/29/91)

Hello,

	I am trying to low level format an st251-1 with the adapter from
Western Digital ( WD1002SWX2A).  The problems that I am getting is that the
Computer thinks that the drive is has 4 heads and 611 cylinders, when in fact
it has 6 heads and 820 cylinders.  Could there be a possibility that the
card needs to be told the drive size?  I do not have any docs on this card,  so
I do not know what the jumpers are for.  If any of you are using this card and
have a list of jumper settings, I would appreciate it if you e-mailed them to
me.

Thanks

Stacy Coil

davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Dave McCrady) (01/30/91)

coil@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stacy D Coil) writes:

> Hello,
>
> 	I am trying to low level format an st251-1 with the adapter from
> Western Digital ( WD1002SWX2A).  The problems that I am getting is that the
> Computer thinks that the drive is has 4 heads and 611 cylinders, when in fact
> it has 6 heads and 820 cylinders.  Could there be a possibility that the
> card needs to be told the drive size?  I do not have any docs on this card,
> I do not know what the jumpers are for.  If any of you are using this card an
> have a list of jumper settings, I would appreciate it if you e-mailed them to
> me.

  That controller's BIOS should permit you to override the jumper
settings.

  Load DEBUG and then enter g=c800:5.  That should put you into the
setup routine of the BIOS.  When it askes you whether you are
dynamically configuring the drive, enter yes .. and then follow the
prompts.

   Dave McCrady                 |  ersys!davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
+1 403-454-4054 (voice)         |  Disclaimer? Who needs a disclaimer?
+1 403-454-6093 (public USENET) |  I >own< the joint.