[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] advice on purchase of pc

CTB103@psuvm.psu.edu (Chad Burkins) (01/29/91)

I plan to purchase a Gateway 2000 386sx or a CompuAdd equivalent.  If
anyone has purchased either of these systems or has an opinion on these
two systems, please e-mail to the above address.  Actually, if anyone has
a strong opinion on any 386 system, please e-mail.   Thanks

raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (01/29/91)

In article <91028.134311CTB103@psuvm.psu.edu>, CTB103@psuvm (Chad Burkins) writes:
>Actually, if anyone has
>a strong opinion on any 386 system, please e-mail.

Opinions strong and otherwise regarding various computer vendors are
stored in the file math.princeton.edu:pub/rjc/csip/products.Z.  If you
can't ftp, check the Frequently Asked Questions file for
comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc for further instructions.

simpson@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Simpson David Grant) (01/29/91)

  A friend of mine recently bought a 386 from a computer dealer
in Maryland.  The dealer told him that prices of electronic
equipment will soon be going up because of the war in the
Persian Gulf (the Defense Deparment is buying lots of chips)
and so PC prices will be going up as a result.

dlee@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Lee) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.000427.10982@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> simpson@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Simpson David Grant) writes:
>  A friend of mine recently bought a 386 from a computer dealer
>in Maryland.  The dealer told him that prices of electronic
>equipment will soon be going up because of the war in the
>Persian Gulf (the Defense Deparment is buying lots of chips)
>and so PC prices will be going up as a result.

I think maybe this dealer is giving you a sales pitch for one reason
or another... Here in the Washington, DC area, PC prices are still falling
regularly as 486 machines are becoming more and more available in the
discount stores; putting pressure on the prices of the 286 and 386
machines.. As an example, as of this week, typical discount prices for
a 386 machine with VGA color monitor is about $2,000.00; this includes
2 meg RAM, 60 meg HD, both 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 inch floppy. A similar 286
based machine would be about $1,600.00.....This is down from December
time frame...

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (01/31/91)

In article <5605@oasys.dt.navy.mil> dlee@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (David Lee) writes:
>In article <1991Jan29.000427.10982@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> simpson@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Simpson David Grant) writes:
>>  A friend of mine recently bought a 386 from a computer dealer
>>in Maryland.  The dealer told him that prices of electronic
>>equipment will soon be going up because of the war in the
>>Persian Gulf (the Defense Deparment is buying lots of chips)
>>and so PC prices will be going up as a result.
>
>I think maybe this dealer is giving you a sales pitch for one reason
>or another... Here in the Washington, DC area, PC prices are still falling
>regularly as 486 machines are becoming more and more available in the
>discount stores; putting pressure on the prices of the 286 and 386
>machines.. As an example, as of this week, typical discount prices for
>a 386 machine with VGA color monitor is about $2,000.00; this includes
>2 meg RAM, 60 meg HD, both 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 inch floppy. A similar 286
>based machine would be about $1,600.00.....This is down from December
>time frame...

Absolutely--I agree.  I've been waiting for someone to answer the
original poster's comments.  If the war in the gulf were going to
raise the price of computers then the prices would have gone up *in
anticipation* of the conflict just as the oil prices did.  The
fact that over the past four months 486 prices have dropped an
average of about $1000 shows no effect on computer availability
or pricing.  The reason 386's were so expensive for so long
(besides the fact that Intel had a monopoly on them) is that there
was such a shortage of CPU's in light of the great demand.  Now that
CPU's are more available, and now that you can get a good *complete*
486 system for about $3000, the price of 386's is going to be
dropped further still.  Hopefully as they bottom out, companies will
be pressed to offer better quality motherboards for the same price
in order to win more customers.  We always have a need for better
quality when companies are pressing for cheaper and cheaper prices!

S. "Stevie" Smith \  +  /
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC