[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] SIMM chips on a Model 80's motherboard--where?

jumper@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Michael Lanham) (01/29/91)

I own a relatively old PS/2 model 80-4016 which means it has a 40MB HD and
is a 16 MHz 386 MCA bus machine.  It has 1 MB RAM on board and 4 MB on an
INTEL ABOVEBOARD MC32.  My questions are:
1) where in the tower case do I look to see if there are anymore SIMM
   slots to be filled on the mother board?
2) near the very top of the case there is something that looks like a small
   half card that plugs into a port (NOT an MCA or XT bus port but rather
   with a bunch of male pins.  Underneath it is another port which has nothing
   attached to it.  Is this the actual main memory for the machine?
   The small rows of silver square blocks are not SIMMs but what are they?
3) Would it be possible to buy 2MB or 4MB SIMMs to replace the ones in the
   machine now?  On the motherboard not the INTEL card.

Thanks for any/all help.
--
He who will not reason, is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool;
and he who dares not is a slave.      --- Sir William Drummond

Michael Lanham       mjlanham@eos.ncsu.edu   &  jumper@.catt.ncsu.edu

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan29.044737.724@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, jumper@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Michael Lanham) writes:
> I own a relatively old PS/2 model 80-4016 which means it has a 40MB HD and
> is a 16 MHz 386 MCA bus machine.  It has 1 MB RAM on board and 4 MB on an
> INTEL ABOVEBOARD MC32.  My questions are:
> 1) where in the tower case do I look to see if there are anymore SIMM
>    slots to be filled on the mother board?
The motherboard does not take SIMMs.
> 2) near the very top of the case there is something that looks like a small
>    half card that plugs into a port (NOT an MCA or XT bus port but rather
>    with a bunch of male pins.  Underneath it is another port which has nothing
>    attached to it.  Is this the actual main memory for the machine?
Yes.
>    The small rows of silver square blocks are not SIMMs but what are they?
IBM memory modules. Third party suppliers (e.g. Kingston) do these boards
at a reasonable price. Don't know about the 80-041 but in my 80-111 this memory
is faster than the bus memory.
> 3) Would it be possible to buy 2MB or 4MB SIMMs to replace the ones in the
>    machine now?  On the motherboard not the INTEL card.
No.
Bob Eager                | University of Kent at Canterbury