[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Disk controllers?

Bob_Jones@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Bob Jones) (02/01/91)

Problem:  HD &/or FD controller(s)

A neighbour and friend of mine has a CVE brand Turbo XT. He has been using
it with 2 floppies, and it works fine. Someone gave him a hard disk &
controller, and I managed to get to get that working . . . BUT I haven't
been able to get the floppies and HD both to work (when I get the machine to
recognise the FD controller/drives, it doesn't recognise the existence of
the HD and vice versa).  I suspect that the dip switch on the motherboard
needs to be set differently, but how?

Unfortunately, my mate doesn't have a manual for the machine, which he
acquired 2nd hand from a close friend who had bought it new in the
Netherlands.  The machine is labelled "CVE XT" on the front of the case (I'm
told that Central Institute of Technology in Trentham has some of these
machines--maybe somebody there could check in a manual?) and has a Taiwanese
8 MHz motherboard.

If anyone on this echo can help, I will be _extremely_ grateful, 'cause I
feel like a right dill after fooling with the machine for two hours and not
being able to do a simple thing like getting a hard disk and a floppy both
to be recognised and functional.  Sigh . . .

Thanks,

the REAL Bob Jones

--- D'Bridge 1.30/001501
 * Origin: SpringBoard Communications (3:771/110)
SEEN-BY: 771/110 150 160 170 180 772/20
FSC-Control: PATH: 771/110