[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] PRICES

reichard@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Kevin Reichard) (01/30/91)

simpson@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Simpson David Grant) writes:

>  A friend of mine recently bought a 386 from a computer dealer
>in Maryland.  The dealer told him that prices of electronic
>equipment will soon be going up because of the war in the
>Persian Gulf (the Defense Deparment is buying lots of chips)
>and so PC prices will be going up as a result.

Um, the Defense Department doesn't buy chips. The services are buying
directly--a $21 million buy from Compuadd, a $1 million buy from CPT, etc.
Methinks the dealer was pushing some hooey to push a sale; there are no
indications that prices will be going up.

--Kevin

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!reichard
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!reichard@nosc.mil
INET: reichard@pnet51.orb.mn.org

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) (01/31/91)

/ reichard@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Kevin Reichard) /  4:27 am  Jan 30, 1991 /
$ >
$
$ Um, the Defense Department doesn't buy chips. The services are buying
$ directly--a $21 million buy from Compuadd, a $1 million buy from CPT, etc.
$ Methinks the dealer was pushing some hooey to push a sale; there are no
$ indications that prices will be going up.
$
I fact, in my 2 cents' worth of opinion, I believe price will be going
down  :-). For one, soon Intel will not have monopoly of 386 chips.
The Gulf War and the existing economic trend will cause many companies
to have cash flow problem --- which usually means a fire sale to follow.

Almost pure speculation .....  So when will we get a 486 for under $2K ?

Regards,     . .. ... .- -> -->## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
                                             Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Darmawan Ludirdja) (02/01/91)

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) writes:

>Almost pure speculation .....  So when will we get a 486 for under $2K ?

When?.......NOW..... yes TODAY.........if you want...

oooppssss, Are you talking 486 system with 16 Meg RAM or more , EISA,
128K cache with 2 FDDs, ESDI and biiiig harddrive 660 Meg for <$2K

This is not a flame......just curious what you want...hope you
want just motherboard 486 with CPU only :-)