[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] uncompressing

mico@brahms.udel.edu (Michael G Santos) (01/31/91)

Help, everytime I try to execute these files I get the error

>Program to big to fit in memory

These are the culprits:
	PKUNZIP.EXE
	PKX35A35.EXE
	ZOO201.EXE
	ZOOX2EXE.EXE

hELP mE!

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (01/31/91)

In article <18300@brahms.udel.edu> mico@brahms.udel.edu (Michael G Santos) writes:
>Help, everytime I try to execute these files I get the error
>
>>Program to big to fit in memory
>
>These are the culprits:
>	PKUNZIP.EXE
>	PKX35A35.EXE
>	ZOO201.EXE
>	ZOOX2EXE.EXE
>
>hELP mE!

Perhapse you should think about getting more RAM?  Or remove some of your
TSR's?

If CHKDSK reports less than 490K of available memory, then you ought clear out
your ram.  After all (if memory serves), PKUNZIP will run in less than 350K
of ram!

					- David
--
David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            |
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) | This space for rent.

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (02/01/91)

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David D. Kessner) writes:
>mico@brahms.udel.edu (Michael G Santos) writes:
>>Help, everytime I try to execute these files I get the error
>>
>>>Program to big to fit in memory
>>
>>These are the culprits:
>>	PKUNZIP.EXE
>>	PKX35A35.EXE
>>	ZOO201.EXE
>>	ZOOX2EXE.EXE
>>
>Perhapse you should think about getting more RAM?  Or remove some of your
>TSR's?
>
>If CHKDSK reports less than 490K of available memory, then you ought clear out
>your ram.  After all (if memory serves), PKUNZIP will run in less than 350K
>of ram!

I have "unzipped" and "unarced" fairly large files (using pkunzip.exe
and pkunpak.exe), and I have sometimes had problem with memory.  The
reason I point this out is that I'm doing this on an IBM XT (4.77MHz)
with only 320k RAM (327,680 is the exact amount).  With Procomm
running I only have 167k left!  (I just checked.)

SS

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (02/01/91)

mico@brahms.udel.edu (Michael G Santos) writes:
>Help, everytime I try to execute these files I get the error
>
>>Program to big to fit in memory
>
>These are the culprits:
>	PKUNZIP.EXE
>	PKX35A35.EXE
>	ZOO201.EXE
>	ZOOX2EXE.EXE

If you got those files via FTP did you remember to use the TENEX or
BINARY mode?  If you transferred them to your PC with Kermit, did
you remember to tell the mainframe Kermit to SET FILE TYPE BINARY
before the transfer?  Mainframe Kermits default to text mode which
messes up binary files.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Co-SysOp, Detroit Download Central 313-885-3956 (212/V22bis/HST/V32/V42bis)

roger@wrq.com (Roger Fulton) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan31.173750.15924@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) writes:
>and pkunpak.exe), and I have sometimes had problem with memory.  The
>reason I point this out is that I'm doing this on an IBM XT (4.77MHz)
>with only 320k RAM (327,680 is the exact amount).  With Procomm
>running I only have 167k left!  (I just checked.)

Are you saving this system for a time capsule? :-) :-) :-)

Roger Fulton
roger@wrq.com

.

cd5340@mars.njit.edu (Charlap) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan31.173750.15924@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) writes:

>I have "unzipped" and "unarced" fairly large files (using pkunzip.exe
>and pkunpak.exe), and I have sometimes had problem with memory.  The
>reason I point this out is that I'm doing this on an IBM XT (4.77MHz)
>with only 320k RAM (327,680 is the exact amount).  With Procomm
>running I only have 167k left!  (I just checked.)

You should definitely consider getting more RAM.  If your XT has a full
motherboard, a card to bump you to 640K should be cheap.  At computer
flea markets, you can get an AST 6-pak Plus for under $100.  This card'll
give you 640K, a serial port, a parallel port, a joystick port, and a clock.
Well worth it for an XT.