[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Need a used AS/400

ezf@sdchemg (Enrique Zapata) (02/01/91)

I need some advice on where to buy a used IBM AS/400 system (6 terminals),
with a 330 MB Hard Drive in very good shape.

Anybody has an idea ?

Please send me mail if you know.

Thanks much,

Enrique.

kirchner@informatik.uni-kl.de (Reinhard Kirchner) (02/01/91)

Enrique,

nobody can send you mail since your From:-address is incomplete.
There must be something at the end like .edu, .com etc.

Since I typed an answer, I do not want to throw it to nul:, so here it is:

To: ezf@sdchemg

Subject: Re: Need a used  AS/400

ezf@sdchemg (Enrique Zapata):
> I need some advice on where to buy a used IBM AS/400 system (6 terminals),
> with a 330 MB Hard Drive in very good shape.

hello,
with this request you are here in the shurely wrong group. try comp.misc.

Second: I doubt you will get an answer at all. AS/400 are used by people
who neither have internet nor bitnet.

Perhaps you look for a magazine/newspaper etc. dealing with small commercial
data processing, better /38, /38, /400 specific. You may even ask the IBM
if somebody upgrades to a larger modell. Also leasing brokers may have
used machines.

I think you may go with a B10 or B20, both are outdated and may be on the
market.

Reinhard Kirchner
Univ. Kaiserslautern, Germany

PS: I did some consulting in the purchase of a AS/400 in town, so I looked
at this machine.

levericw@cheetah.ece.clarkson.edu (Walden Leverich) (02/05/91)

Sorry about posting this to the net, but mail keeps bouncing due to
bad mail address in original posting.

EZ> I need some advice on where to buy a used IBM AS/400 system (6 terminals),
EZ> with a 330 MB Hard Drive in very good shape.
EZ> Anybody has an idea ?
EZ> Please send me mail if you know.
EZ> Thanks much,
EZ> Enrique.

Enrique,

I don't have a plave for you to get them but just a comment. Unless
you are planning to roll your own operating system for the AS/400
(Yes, 2 or 3 people have done this) you will need about 250 to 300M
for the operating system and support programs/files. Or did you mean
330M on top of the base DASD configuration?

If all 6 terminals are going to be active at the same time you are
looking at a C20 (the big 9404 system) or a C30 (the smallest 9406.)
Just beware of using smaller machines the response time will suck with
6 users on a B10 of C10.

Why do you not want to get a new one from IBM? It can be leased over 5
years through IBM Credit corp. And since you are from UCSD IBM can (I
believe) work out a deal since UCSD is an educational organization.

If you are interested in more info drop me a line and I will see what
I can do to help out.

-Walden

Walden H. Leverich III               | Inet: levericw@clutx.clarkson.edu
     ECE Dept.                       | CServ: 73237,2212 <- checked weekly
 Clarkson University                 | SnailMail: Software Solutions
                                     |            PO Box 763
                                     |            Potsdam, NY 13676-0763
#include <std_disclamer_concerning_what_I_say>