[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Binary/ASCII Conversions

wthomps@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (William R Thompson) (01/31/91)

I am a new computer user with an IBM compat at home and wish to transfer a
binary file to ASCII.  Is there a way to do this?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanx in advance...

--Bill Thompson
  <wthomps@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>

" 'I don't have a real job.' "
" 'You get up, you eat Corn Flakes, you go to
   an office.  You have a real job.' "
              --Hope, Gary:  _Thirtysomething_

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (02/01/91)

In article <CMM.0.90.2.665255161.wthomps@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> wthomps@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (William R Thompson) writes:

>I am a new computer user with an IBM compat at home and wish to transfer a
>binary file to ASCII.  Is there a way to do this?  Any help would be greatly
>appreciated.  Thanx in advance...

There is usually no practical application for the conversion you desire.
Binary files are usually executable program instructions and ASCII files
are usually readable text.
Please tell us exactly what the binary file IS and why you think you
want to convert it to ASCII, then maybe someone can offer some practical
advice.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965

lroberts@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Larry S Roberts) (02/01/91)

In article <583@pallas.athenanet.com> kabra437@pallas.UUCP (Ken Abrams) writes:
>In article <CMM.0.90.2.665255161.wthomps@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> wthomps@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (William R Thompson) writes:
>>
>>I am a new computer user with an IBM compat at home and wish to transfer a
>>binary file to ASCII.  Is there a way to do this?  Any help would be greatly
>>appreciated.  Thanx in advance...
>>
>There is usually no practical application for the conversion you desire.
>Binary files are usually executable program instructions and ASCII files
>are usually readable text.
>Please tell us exactly what the binary file IS and why you think you
>want to convert it to ASCII, then maybe someone can offer some practical
>advice.
>
>--
>Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437

Yes there is a practical application for this conversion, it is called
uuencode and uudecode for the pc (adapted from a unix utility).  I think it
is available on SIMTEL20 under the file utilities directory.  The reason
a person might want to do this is so that he can send and receive programs
(executable files) through the net mail and USENET.  Mail is transfered
between system using SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol), and this
protocol only supports 7 bit ASCII.  Therefore, in order to send executables
(8 bit files) over the net you use uuencode to change binary -> ASCII, and
mail the ASCII file.  The receiver uses uudecode to change ASCII -> binary.
It is all very simple, Really! :-)

--
---
Larry S. Roberts

8450robertsl@indinpls.navy.mil              lroberts@en.ecn.purdue.edu

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb1.124637.10807@en.ecn.purdue.edu> lroberts@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Larry S Roberts) writes:

>>>I am a new computer user with an IBM compat at home and wish to transfer a
>>>binary file to ASCII.  Is there a way to do this?  Any help would be greatly
>>>
>>There is usually no practical application for the conversion you desire.
>
>Yes there is a practical application for this conversion, it is called
>uuencode and uudecode for the pc (adapted from a unix utility).  I think it

OK, guys. You got me.  I give up.
The operative phrase in the first post was "new computer user" and the
key word in my reply was "usually".  I thought this user's question was
somewhat more basic than preparing something to transfer via mail.
Excuse me for thinking ;-).
I DO hope we hear from the original poster again.  I would very much like
to know what prompted his post in the first place.  I have even received
flames by mail for my inept answer!