[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] 1 Megabit DRAMS; 80-ns 32 of them; $150

carter@cat34.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (02/02/91)

Anybody want 32 1 Megabit DRAM 80ns Motorola chips for $150 dollars?
(4 Megs)

I pay shipping 1st class.

--Gregory

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (02/03/91)

In article <1991Feb1.225626.14137@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> carter@cat34.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) writes:
>Anybody want 32 1 Megabit DRAM 80ns Motorola chips for $150 dollars?
>(4 Megs)     ^^

It takes *36* 1MB chips to make 4 MBytes (9 per bank).  Anyways, $150.00
is about the current street price for 4 MBytes (36 chips), so what is
the inducement to buy used chips???

Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */

fenger@galaxy.uucp (Steven V Fenger) (02/03/91)

In article <1991Feb2.211543.7572@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>
rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) stuck in the IBM world writes:

>In article <1991Feb1.225626.14137@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> carter@cat34.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) writes:
>>Anybody want 32 1 Megabit DRAM 80ns Motorola chips for $150 dollars?
>>(4 Megs)     ^^
>
>It takes *36* 1MB chips to make 4 MBytes (9 per bank).  Anyways, $150.00
>is about the current street price for 4 MBytes (36 chips), so what is
>the inducement to buy used chips???

It takes 36 chips if you have parity memory.  You only need *32* for
machines such as Macs which don't use parity memory.

Also if you know where you can get a megabyte of memory for $37.50,
please tell me.

Steven Fenger
fenger@cps.msu.edu

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (02/03/91)

I recently ordered 1meg x 1 80ns chips from Microprocessor
Unlimited for $5.25 each. Microprocessor Unlimited has been
around for at least five years, and I've never had a bad chip
from them in over 20 orders. It's obvious to me that $150 for
32 chips of unknown history is not enough of a bargain to
tempt many people in today's market.
Clarence Wilkerson

WTW101@psuvm.psu.edu (Bill Warner) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb4.164557.8982@cbnewsd.att.com>, klotz@cbnewsd.att.com
(david.a.klotzbach) says:

>From article <1991Feb3.050247.20455@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, by fenger@galaxy.uucp
>(Steven V Fenger):

>>>It takes *36* 1MB chips to make 4 MBytes (9 per bank).  Anyways, $150.00
>> It takes 36 chips if you have parity memory.  You only need *32* for
>> machines such as Macs which don't use parity memory.
>                    ^^^
>Since this is comp.sys.ibm.pc, who cares how many chips it takes to make
>a meg on a mac? The point remains, 32 chips are worthless to an
>IBM.pc user.

My Gateway 2000/386 includes parity chips on board for 8 megs.  I currently
have 4 Megs.  So, if I were to buy 4 more Megs, I would need exactly
32 chips.  Sounds like you are rather wrong.

Bill Warner
wtw101@psuvm.psu.edu